Bathymetry bump map for planetary renders

Started by bigben, September 25, 2007, 07:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Hi All

I've been toying around with my new version of GlobalMapper and some data that I couldn't previously open. I'm preparing some global bump maps of the earth and decided to split the data into two (above and below water). This is just a sneak peek at one of the files  ;)

Given some of the fine samples of fake water transparency I figured someone could use this data for a planetary render...

I've compiled a 9000x4500 16-bit SGI image of the earth's bathymetric data. I restricted the elevation to 0m so that there was no chance of it interfering with any overlying terrain... there may just be some patches of very shallow water instead. Black is shallow, white is deep so it can be used with a negative displacement to create the ocean bed. Attached a JPEG preview image

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/terragen/terrains/earth_bump/files/

If you're really adventurous I also have an 18000x9000 version which I could make available.

SGI conversion done with LEADTOOLS Command Line File Converter from 16-bit Geottiff exported from GM and levels adjustment in Photoshop.

[edit] I've posted the other files including the above water topography. The first number in the filenames is the width in pixels, the second number is the bit depth.[/edit]

Volker Harun

You are mad, the positive way :) This is looking marvelous.
I think sonshine's merge shader setup should do it, using the bumpmap as blending shader.

bigben

It may drive me mad  ;)

Now in theory.... I'm producing large terrain sets as TERs, centred on a known coordinate soooo ..... if UTM matches the projection used by TG2 to drop a terrain onto the planet (or close enough)......  and the spherical mapping is accurate ...... then in theory I should be able to convert one of these bump maps to RGB, remap it using Panorama Tools to match the coordinates of my terrain set and bingo .... a low res terrain of the entire planet as padding for a high res area of interest.

See... far too many ideas, not enough hours... and in the end they all tie together....

The USGS is letting me (gently) get some more data at the moment so I'll get to play again tonight  ;)

... and nvseal's now got the deep version so he or cyphyr should be able to use this better than me   :)