Testing vector displacement

Started by Dune, February 25, 2018, 12:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

A vector displacement test (thanks to Jochen for making the exr out of a mix of cubes). No cubes used, btw.

bobbystahr

Very cool but as Matt suggested to me a while back maybe a bit under exposed? I can't really make out the lovely details I just know are there.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Yes, I know it's no good like this.

Dune

Another test using the VDM Jochen made out of some blocks I constructed, and a nifty combination of rotated and mirrored VDM's (also by Jochen). No compute normal/terrain used  ;)
And I know, scale is off and it's just a mess of objects >:( But in principle this has potential.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 03, 2018, 09:33:33 AM
Another test using the VDM Jochen made out of some blocks I constructed, and a nifty combination of rotated and mirrored VDM's (also by Jochen). No compute normal/terrain used  ;)
And I know, scale is off and it's just a mess of objects >:( But in principle this has potential.

Cool but I gotta ask what are these VDM block objects Jochen made...I guess I missed that discussion/thread.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

That isn't a thread, but I am working with Jochen to make some nice blocky vector displacement maps out of objects. Early on we had some artifacts, but especially Jochen has found out a lot to get better VDM's.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 03, 2018, 09:55:57 AM
That isn't a thread, but I am working with Jochen to make some nice blocky vector displacement maps out of objects. Early on we had some artifacts, but especially Jochen has found out a lot to get better VDM's.

my brain just woke up and translated VDM into virtual displacement  map...that's what was confusing me. heh heh ...on my 2nd coffee now.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Amazing! But I especially like the water. The foam looks brillant. Maybe a little (!) bit more displacement to the foam patterns and maybe some small low quality cloud layers to simulate some spray.

DannyG

Like the Vdisp and rock textures big time. Keep them coming
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram