Population with shaders

Started by Kranky, September 27, 2007, 07:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kranky

Hello :)

my second problem for today is the following: I want to create a moon-like planet with a lot of craters, but I don't want to use bumpmaps for this, because of the resolution.

With the crater shader I can create ONE crater - but I want to create millions of different sized craters without adding millions of crater shaders. Is it possible to populate shaders? Or is there any other solution for my problem?

Jens

cyphyr

Hi Kranky, welcome to the gang :)
The simple answer to this one is it cant be done (yet). There was talk of implementing a "multi" crater shader for the final version but I don't know if that has progressed any further or not. However using multiple crater shaders to populate the surface of your moon object seems a very tedious way of progressing and I cant really see that resolution will be a problem if you use a displacement map (TG has no bump maps as such). If you create for example a 10000px x 5000px image map and wrap that about your moon using spherical mapping you should be able to create a very respectable cratered moon. Don't forget to change the mapping of your texture ti a spherical projection first http://photoshop.pluginsworld.com/plugins/adobe/224/richard-rosenman/spherical-mapping-corrector.html
Good luck
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Kranky

I've got 8192 pixel large texture and displacement maps of the earth. From the distance (space) it looks really great. But when I zoom to germany for example, there are only a few pixels and it looks a lot to smooth and undetailed. From the Mars I've got also 8192 pixel large maps - but when I try to zoom near to the ground it doesn't look good :(

Reason for near and far images: I want to try a small animation sequence :)

rcallicotte

@Kranky -  this is why some people have been working with an in-house project called Terracell, which is to make renders of planets look great near and far.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?