Save / Export ter file

Started by EdBardet, December 30, 2006, 12:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdBardet

I've either misread or missed it. How do you save or export a .ter file in TG2?
Thanx
Knotian

Oshyan

Simply right-click a Terrain node in the Node Network view and choose Save File As. Be sure to append the .ter file extension as I believe it does not do so automatically. And of course for Heightfield Generators the heightfield must be Generated first before saving.

- Oshyan

katisss

Is there obj export of terrains?
unoffical realflow forum: http://realflowforum.trebre.com/index.php

Oshyan

Not yet, no. You can export to LWO though, which most programs should also support. Just use a Heightfield Export LWO node. This will export a fairly dense tiled mesh as a series of LWO files with an LWS you can load that has them all correctly positioned together.

- Oshyan

EdBardet

;D ;D Thankz and a Happy New Year!
Knotian

Keichan

I Cannot export multi blended terrain which contains
three Heightfield shader  as one ter or lwo file.How
can I get them?

Thanx
keichan

Oshyan

I would think you could use a Heightfield From Shader to handle this by connecting it further down in the terrain list, but it doesn't seem to be working. My assumption may not be correct and there are a number of reasons it might not be working. The alternative is to export separately and use a 3rd party tool to blend them, or use the LWO "micro exporter" which can export virtually anything into LWO but is more difficult to work with. You'd probably do it with a camera in a top-down view and it would be hard to get the precise area or detail you want, but it's possible.

Use of the LWO micro-exporter is a bit tricky. The short version is you create one, specify the output file name, specify it in the Sequence/Output tab of your renderer, then specify the camera which the exporter is tied to. When you render an LWO will be saved. Detail (geometry density) will depend on the detail you use to render. You can turn off stuff like atmospherics as they won't be exported and will just slow down the render. The geometry will be visibility culled so for example if you use a regular camera position you would not get geometry for mountains that are behind others in your view. The best result for a heightfield (without overhangs) would thus be obtained from a top-down perspective.

- Oshyan

EdBardet

Thanks
???You can see how this conflicts with previous advise about using the sculpt from .9 in combination with TG2.
Knotian

JimB

Quote from: JavaJones on January 03, 2007, 11:24:26 PMUse of the LWO micro-exporter is a bit tricky. The short version is you create one, specify the output file name, specify it in the Sequence/Output tab of your renderer, then specify the camera which the exporter is tied to. When you render an LWO will be saved. Detail (geometry density) will depend on the detail you use to render. You can turn off stuff like atmospherics as they won't be exported and will just slow down the render. The geometry will be visibility culled so for example if you use a regular camera position you would not get geometry for mountains that are behind others in your view. The best result for a heightfield (without overhangs) would thus be obtained from a top-down perspective.

WHOAA!  ;D That's brilliant, I'd completely missed it before! The ability to export a mesh without having zillions of redundant polys, and refining the areas you're interested in for higher res interaction in the other 3D app by moving the camera and changing the render settings. Genius!

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Oshyan

Quote from: knotian on January 04, 2007, 06:23:04 AM
Thanks
???You can see how this conflicts with previous advise about using the sculpt from .9 in combination with TG2.
Knotian

No, I don't actually. Can you explain what you mean?

- Oshyan

EdBardet

Woops- I think the subject changed from ter export to blended terrains. On 12/31 you answered my question about saving the ter file. When I read your 1/3 reply I assumed that you were referring to my question when you said 'doesn't seem to be working', rather than the 'multi blended terrains' question.

One of the problems when a thread gets 'redirected'. ;)

Thanx
Knotian

Oshyan

Ah yes, "thread drift" rears its ugly head. :D

- Oshyan

samsamysam

Is it possible to export the entiere Earth Object?
If, it is possible with the LWOexporter where did I've to plug it? I've tried to plug it in, and in place of, the Heightfield gernerator and pressing 'the export to file' button but he just generate an 'export.lwd' wich is a Lightwave file but zero objects files and no .LWO.
I although try to render a frame but no result.

I just want to export the earth very simply, just to locate the sphere in MAYA and animate my camera around it to import this animation in Terragen. So I'll be able to mix Maya and Terragen renders.

(please excuse me for my very aproximativ english... )

Oshyan

It is not currently possible to (easily) export an entire planet. The only way I can think of to do it would be to setup an animation to render 6 sides of the planet from a camera attached to an LWO micro-exporter, and then try to merge those exports in Maya. It sounds pretty problematic though.

- Oshyan

fragalles

Quote from: Oshyan on January 03, 2007, 11:24:26 PM
Use of the LWO micro-exporter is a bit tricky. The short version is you create one, specify the output file name, specify it in the Sequence/Output tab of your renderer, then specify the camera which the exporter is tied to. When you render an LWO will be saved. Detail (geometry density) will depend on the detail you use to render. You can turn off stuff like atmospherics as they won't be exported and will just slow down the render. The geometry will be visibility culled so for example if you use a regular camera position you would not get geometry for mountains that are behind others in your view. The best result for a heightfield (without overhangs) would thus be obtained from a top-down perspective.
- Oshyan

I using the default settings where the Render Camera node is linked to the Full Render node and inside the render node I created LWO micro exporter in the sequence/output properties, when I hit render (640x480) the outputted lwo file has just some random triangles not connected to each other.
What are good render settings for outputting geometry like this http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=231.0 ?