New TG2 TP2 Free version ( 1.9.04.1 ) available

Started by jo, September 28, 2007, 08:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jo

Hi,

In cased you've missed it, the new topic doesn't exactly jump out, there is a new TG2 TP2 Free version ( 1.9.04.1 ) available, for both the Mac and Windows. More info here.

Regards,

Jo

bobbystahr

Wooo Hoo...many thanks Matt,jo jj, etc...my first e mail was this....made my day.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Seth

arisdemos

Hi Jo

Could you please briefly explain the procedure for beginning the TG2 1.9.04.1 upgrade ?  After I downloaded the .msi package it appears that the files are not set up to do an initial uninstall and then a new installation as build 1.8.76.0 was.   

Are the uncompressed files after extraction placed manually into the original Terragen 2 program folder, or is the installation of the new files done by using preferences-Software Update to directly download these files via the Planetside server per instructions (stated by Mat) for upgrading by "owners of DeepTG2?"  I am asking this probably dumb question because My work station is not connected to the Net, and I previously used a media transfer for my initial installation of the second issue of your program. Thanks.

Arisdemos

Oshyan

Assuming you have the fully downloaded .msi installer you should simply uninstall the old version using Add/Remove programs, then install the new one from the .msi. This procedure is the same for Deep or Free versions.

- Oshyan

arisdemos

To Oshyan:

Unlike my first issued TG2 acquisition nothing given in files after extraction from .msi is UI actionable, and It would seem (as you suggest) that I have not successfully downloaded the complete program.  Glad I didn't uninstall yet, and so I will now give it another try. 

Thanks,

Arisdemos

Oshyan

You shouldn't need to "extract" the .msi at all. If you have the Windows Installer it should execute just like a .exe file and start an install routine. If not then it may be a damaged file.

- Oshyan

arisdemos

to Oshyan

Turns out there was no problem with the .msi upgrade file from Planetside. The problem was in the associate program msiexec.exe that assists the installation.  After reinstalling XP and restoring the file options folder command lines The TG2 upgrade then installed perfectly. Sorry about my rattling on about the .msi file adding to the confusion.  Your suggestion to look at the condition of the upgrade download led me to try installing it on another computer and it worked just fine there.  thanks for your kind assistance Oshyan.

Arisdemos

nikita

In case it happens again:
You can also download the latest MS Installer separately from the microsoft website or elsewhere on the web.
Installing it might have helped too - without reinstalling the whole os. :)

Dark Fire

I downloaded the update a few hours after it was announced, but I haven't had a chance to use it until today. I like the new version a lot - all of the little useful changes make a big difference overall. The ability to open multiple network views is particularly useful...

Thanks Planetside! :D

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Dark Fire on September 29, 2007, 11:38:14 AM
The ability to open multiple network views is particularly useful...

really??......how do you do that??
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

nikita

Dark Fire

dhavalmistry

oh thank you both....I missed that

I just realized something that pressing ctrl+4 only opens same network view but in a new window......
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Dark Fire

I've just tested my render farm manager on the new version, and I've found that T2TP produces the following handy and informative message:
QuoteERROR: Command line arguments are not supported in the Free Non-Commercial Edition.
The previous version didn't give an error message, but I can't remember exactly what it did do.

I just thought I'd mention that, as I don't think it's in the list of changes. Planetside are clearly paying attention to detail. :D