TB-scene

Started by Dune, April 13, 2018, 12:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

A new commission for a 3x12m museum wall. I have great difficulties getting these people to look right, and I know, maybe render them elsewhere and comp in, but I'd really like to at least try and do it all in TG.
Folds in clothing look good in ZB (or Poseray for that matter), but they are quite lost in TG. Struggling with hair to, but learning a lot while working on it.
Ground needs much work still, as all else  ;)

archonforest

another museum pjt! Great. I loved the early one a lot. Good start for sure.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on April 13, 2018, 12:57:05 PM
Folds in clothing look good in ZB (or Poseray for that matter), but they are quite lost in TG. Struggling with hair to, but learning a lot while working on it.

Hmmm, could you show an example image of the folds in ZB or Poseray?

masonspappy

Hair is one of the harder things to accomplish in Terragen.  Which explains why so many male objects are bald.... :)

Lady of the Lake

Great work....my only comment is that the blonde's expression looks like she is in pain.   ;)

Dune

Maybe the pot's too heavy for her.... I'll make screendump of the folds in ZB.

René

You realize, of course, that making convincing people is the hardest thing to do in 3D software. You might try to fake subsurfing scattering for the skin, don't ask me how. Maybe you can generate an extra layer of fold-like structures for the clothes in Terragen, and apply them gently over the folds that already exist. By the way, I saw your work in the Limburgs Museum a few years ago, in fact, this was the most important reason for my visit. It's incredible that you've managed to do this. My compliments!

mhaze

Dune

Thanks guys. And thanks for visiting the museum, René. It's quite something, huh? I had a lot of render help from some of the guys here. You have to go again for the Venlo medieval city, 12x4m, backlit. In fact I haven't even seen it myself, but it's not nextdoors.

Btw. here are some ZB renders.

luvsmuzik

The only problem (if there really is one) with the clothing I see is...Do you have a way to assign the weight of your cloth? For example, silk, denim, leather, linen? Whatever you have done here looks very silky and falls nicely, but I would expect a little more coarseness for fabric in this time period. Can you find a bumpier diffuse texture? Woven texture would be very primitive here, I would say. If it is animal hide, which would be smooth would work, but it is way too soft and thin.

I don't mind the hair but rough up that parting down the center bit. Fluff that up and give it some uneven spikes.

Oh btw, I was a licensed hairdresser for years, and you are correct, modeling hair is difficult even when you have a clue. :)

SILENCER

I'd render the characters elsewhere and composite.
It'll eliminate the manequinn skin look and allow for some subtlety in the cloth.
I'm a lightwave guy, so I'd do it in LW and Octane. Use the Terragen render (or out put a TG spherical render minus the vegetation) as the GI map. The GI or AO buffers out of Octane will bring out those shadowed areas of the faces for more realism.

The female character in the white dress looks like she's no stranger to preacher curls. She'll kick your ass.

Dune

Thanks for your input! I'd really have to dive into comping and rendering in LW, but the trouble is that I have these subtle skinfaults and dirt on clothes as tgo shaders. I haven't a clue how to achieve that in LW (yet, but I'll get into it). But perhaps my time before deadline is too short to get into extra learning curves.

Btw. LUVS; these are renders without any texture. I do have coarse linnen as texture, with bump (and dirt), in the TG renders. And hair modeling is something I still have to get used to. As a former hairdresser you'd love the fibermesh in ZBrush  ;)

bobbystahr

Wow, pretty damn good. I think a per object option for Ambient occlusion would help the folds problem....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I did try mapping the depths in ZB and adding this as color darkening in TG, but that wasn't as I hoped for. One thing that may have lightened the folds too much is an increase in GI (to get lighter tree canopies, and shadows overall). I'll experiment a bit more.