Achieving the Impossible with Voronoi

Started by WAS, June 02, 2018, 03:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Anyone know how I might be able to create cracks out of voronoi... and have smaller cracks coming from a larger base voronoi? In my head it seems impossible but I know there are some talented artists with knowledge of functions, maybe it wouldn't be so impossible in your heads?

Dune

Basically: get position in texture...voronoi diff scalar... constant scalar for initial size....color adjust with white and black reversed and narrowed to 0.3 and 0, and gamma lowered to maybe 0.3 or so, then maybe some warp, and you have cracks. For smaller cracks, use a transform shader. If that's what you mean.
If you mean cracking the sides of a voronoi, you may think of breaking up in a surface shader by smaller cracks.

WAS

Basically what you explained is what I do, but they are a single scaled crack setup. I'm wondering how I could use that base, and have smaller cracks coming from the larger cracks. Like tension fractures apposed to the main shatter cracks.

Dune

You'd need something like Daniil's erosion calculating stuff instead of randomly doing things, otherwise it's pretty hard I guess.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 03, 2018, 03:19:41 AM
You'd need something like Daniil's erosion calculating stuff instead of randomly doing things, otherwise it's pretty hard I guess.

That's sorta what I figured. Though you did give me an idea using perlin "ribbons" displaced, and eroded with laminar flows, and than using the flow map with fictionalization.

Dune

Here's a setup that kinda works. The smaller cracks breakup the grey areas of the larger cracks. Several combinations can be made like this, inverted, whatever....

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 03, 2018, 03:58:15 AM
Here's a setup that kinda works. The smaller cracks breakup the grey areas of the larger cracks. Several combinations can be made like this, inverted, whatever....

Wow, that actually looks pretty darn good and pretty easy. Looks better than my mix I think.

AP

Cracks with tension fractures.

AP

Clusters of cracks.

Hannes

WAS

Brilliant! I actually never though of that, and it's so simply. :O Laughing about it.

Kadri

These files should be in the file section too i think. Thanks for sharing :)

AP

You are all welcome. I posted the presets in the File Sharing board.