Neanderthals

Started by Dune, June 04, 2018, 11:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Doing some more Neanderthal people. Morphed object imported in DAZ, posed, exported, modified stuff (also head again) in ZB, mixed all in Poseray. I still need to try Marvelous Designer for clothes, these were made in ZB.
I made a depth pass for DOF (lens blur by alpha in PS), but get into trouble with very thin areas. The edges (circled) don't get blurred very well, so you get kinda nasty fringes. Does anybody have a solution for that (other than FOV in TG)?

I also need to have more detailed bump maps for DAZ skins.

Kadri

Looks good.
I have done only limited tests with DOF.
So i can't say anything helpful that you don't know already, like using higher resolution, with crop rendering etc. Ulco.
Is this the DOF and GISD problem ones again?

bobbystahr

Well I'm no help here. but as I've run into similar problems time to time will watch this thread.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 04, 2018, 11:39:42 AM
Doing some more Neanderthal people. Morphed object imported in DAZ, posed, exported, modified stuff (also head again) in ZB, mixed all in Poseray. I still need to try Marvelous Designer for clothes, these were made in ZB.
I made a depth pass for DOF (lens blur by alpha in PS), but get into trouble with very thin areas. The edges (circled) don't get blurred very well, so you get kinda nasty fringes. Does anybody have a solution for that (other than FOV in TG)?

I also need to have more detailed bump maps for DAZ skins.

I wonder if the DOF issue is in relation to the objects size in the space assigned to DOF. As it's "gradienting" for the focal area, this "gradient" may "scale" at a larger scale than the objects stem/edges. Causing distortion in calculation

Also really love the scene and models, wondering if maybe more muscle definition could be done on the neanderthals? They seem kinda smooth in relation to all the detail of the scene. For example, the clothes look more detailed than their skin, so I don't have much complaint over the clothes at this point.

KlausK

The depth pass is rendered in TG, right? If so...
you could disable the rock object and do the same render passes again without it in the picture.
To check if the problem still appears. If it does, hm ?0?

other than that: man, you are very busy these days! Producing one high quality scene after the other.
Sitting and watching in awe - jaw dropped ;D ~~~ Very good.
CHeers, Klaus

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks Klaus. The pass is made in TG, so produces a greyscale, where the close up parts are white (in short). So the stems of some plants are white with the background being dark. If I use this to soften the back area, the stems' edges somehow produce a serrated soft/not-soft area, because of the sharpness of the contrast. Hard to explain. One thing I could do is blur the whole pass a bit and increase gamma, so the stems are slightly wider white, so to speak. I will try that one of these days.
The people are better than I used to do, but not good enough. You can make more definition in DAZ in muscles, and also work on the model afterwards in ZB, or use better bumpmaps, but I'm a very impatient guy, and don't want to spend all my time on one thing. There's just too much I want to pursue.
@ Kadri: no, this is not the TG DOF. If there weren't this GISD/DOF probem I'd probably go for that instead.

Kadri

I see.
Just a thought have you tried to render without raytracing?

Dune

No, I don't think that would be as nice. It's not really important, just something that I tried once again (DOF) and saw what happened.

Oshyan

I don't think raytrace/not raytrace will affect this, it's just an inevitable result of a high contrast mask for a blur. You can reproduce this without a depth pass at all, just create any hard-edged selection on an image in Photoshop and then run a blur. The blur has a hard-edge transition because the mask is hard-edged. The same is happening here. A more DoF-oriented blur filter might handle this better (I think Photoshop has one built-in now), but it's the kind of situation where proper 3D DoF is needed for ideal results.

- Oshyan

Dune

I'd say so, indeed. So hopefully, one day the GISD/DOF problem can be solved too.

Dune

This is the old photo that was my reference  ;) Apparently there was still a relic population back in the '50's!

bobbystahr

ha ha ha, where? in Texas? heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist