VDB workflow testing

Started by Matt, June 13, 2018, 07:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajcgi

Ah brill. Thanks. Looks good. I have a very rudimentary knowledge of Houdini's Pyro shader so I'll run the scene past a colleague at some point and see if we can figure something out. Defaults are very flat, like the end of your GIF there.

SILENCER

A little time opened up at work yesterday, so we slugged both the Terragen and newly released Disney VDB files into Octane for LW 2018. Rendered on an array of 14 GTX TitanX cards.

The Terragen file smacked right into place. Looked a little muddy at first. Honestly I don't have a lot of VDB experience since I usually just do cloud stuff in TG.

However, that Disney one was crazy. It took the adjustment parameters from Octane's medium handler like a boss. Looked great right out of the box.

I'll go back to the TG file today and try to dial it in to look right. With the job we're doing currently, VDB from Terragen would be a gigantic WIN.

pokoy

Same here, can't wait to have the vdb export available in TG.

Could you post a result of the Disney cloud file? I'm experimenting with Corona right now, and while it does look quite good the Hyperion render is out of competition so far.

SILENCER

pokoy:

Can't let anything out of the building. The show is in lockdown. But the Disney VDB is a monster, even at half rez.

However, a new Terragen VDB of some colossal culumus would be the bomb, should Matt care to output another run.

Suppybird

Can someone tell me how tp appear the images ?

Suppybird

Can someone tell me how tp appear the images ?

ajcgi

[attach=1]

Do this. Hit 'more attachments' and do it again.

Suppybird

Please release VDB exporter Immedially. The artist always get headache when making cloud for VFX, and I'm very tired of Houdini's cloud. This is my Terragen cloud's rendered by Arnold For Cinema 4D and Clarisse. Arnold is the most unbiased renderer sp It's not cheat. and because it's not cheat so need 50 bounce and the result is very realistic. Volumetrics in Clarisse is not completely unbised so have to cheat.

So, I must say again. Hey Matt, please ! Release the tool right now. Thank you !

WAS

Quote from: Suppybird on July 11, 2018, 01:38:52 PM
Please release VDB exporter Immedially. The artist always get headache when making cloud for VFX, and I'm very tired of Houdini's cloud. This is my Terragen cloud's rendered by Arnold For Cinema 4D and Clarisse. Arnold is the most unbiased renderer sp It's not cheat. and because it's not cheat so need 50 bounce and the result is very realistic. Volumetrics in Clarisse is not completely unbised so have to cheat.

So, I must say again. Hey Matt, please ! Release the tool right now. Thank you !

Oh those look nice! I miss C4D, I have Release 8 (I believe it is)  somewhere in it's box. Is Houdini compatible with those older versions?

freedomfries

I'm interested in trying Renderman 22 for Maya...

Besides clouds in the sky, might we be able to create .vdb elements for things like cloud nebulae? Would be pretty sweet.

Matt

As long as it's made with a cloud layer and "localise" is enabled, its density field will be exportable to VDB.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Suppybird

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 22, 2018, 02:50:28 AM
Quote from: Suppybird on July 11, 2018, 01:38:52 PM

Oh those look nice! I miss C4D, I have Release 8 (I believe it is)  somewhere in it's box. Is Houdini compatible with those older versions?

Ofcourse no :)) . But you should the newest version, too powerful, most easy to use, very insance comfortable .  When Terragen OpenVDB is released, you can play it with anyshape easily inside Cinema 4D newest version.

Macao

Looks brilliant, can't wait for that update !

Oshyan

OVDB export is available now in the latest 4.3 release, though it only works on Linux (and thus is only available with a Professional license).

- Oshyan

Suppybird

Have any news about VDB exporter for Window?