"Warping" tab

Started by Mid-Knight Acchan, June 22, 2018, 01:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid-Knight Acchan

Currently, I am creating "Warping" tab document of "Power fractal shader".
There is no description about "Less warp at feature scale" and "Allow vertical warp" at all, and when using it on topography, surface, clouds, their influences are different, it is impossible to understand what function is fulfilled .
Can someone help me?
I started 3D landscape with "Bryce" and am currently editing Japanese Wiki as a Terragen user. I am riding the Kawasaki ZEPHYR1100. I am a reader.

René

In your example you are using a different seed for the cloud fractal, I don't know about the other settings, they may be different too. The cloud density fractal behaves a little different than the standard power fractal, so that could also affect the result.
'Allow vertical warp' does exactly what it says, it allows vertical warping.
'Less warp at feature scale' means less warping at a medium scale.

Experimenting is a good way to get a sense of what the different settings are doing.

ajcgi

I must admit, after all these years of warping stuff left right and centre it still feels like it goes where it wants. It creates the swooshy shapes I want but inevitably in the wrong place. I know the effect it achieves, but what is the warp slider in PFs actually doing and could we have tighter controls over it?

cyphyr

Remember that the Preview is always set at (0, 0, 0) so particularly for clouds will show something different than your final cloud output because your clouds will be several thousand meters vertically offset from the preview position.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mid-Knight Acchan

Screenshots did not make any sense.
What I wanted to know is "mechanism".
In particular, in the case of "Allow vertical warp", the function of "warping" in the vertical direction.
If you use it in the topography, I imagine "overhang" as expected, but the result is different.
Also, if you turn on "Allow vertical warp" on the surface, it does not affect, but when combined with "Less warp at feature scale" different effects will appear.
The more you experiment with Terragen, the harder it is to understand.

I'm sorry not to speak ENGLISH fluently :S
I started 3D landscape with "Bryce" and am currently editing Japanese Wiki as a Terragen user. I am riding the Kawasaki ZEPHYR1100. I am a reader.

Oshyan

Warping is similar to but *not* the same as Displacement. Warping changes the volumetric texture coordinates (3D, 3-coordinate) of each point to some other position based on an input or internal function. In the case of the built-in warping, it is an internal function that causes the warping. This does *not* cause overhangs because it happens in texture space, not on a surface, so point positions are changed but if you apply the warped noise function output to a displacement it will behave the same as a non-warped noise function (the look and shape will be different due to warping, but it does not inherently create overhangs).

If you understand how the Warp Input shader works, then simply think of the Warp function in the Power Fractal as a warp shader built-in to the Power Fractal, and with an internally-driven warp source (i.e. you can't specify a warp function, it generates its own).

- Oshyan

Mid-Knight Acchan

Oh, Oshyan, thank you.
Finally, I understood the function.
It is fun to simulate and trial-and-error, but simulation with understanding of the function is more enjoyable.