Bryce materials

Started by EmDee1, October 06, 2007, 06:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmDee1

Is there a way to import materials from Bryce-terrains in Terragen2?
I import the terrains as obj-objects in T2, but when I render I get an error message: the image file can't be loaded. Tried PoseRay, but although a materialfile seems to be saved, my terrains stay black in T2.

EmDee1

Seems I've answered my own question ;D
When I export a terrainobject in Bryce the materials are saved as mtl-files. Importing the terrainobject in TG2 there is a multishader attached to it with, in my case, one material.
The material doesn't get loaded automatically, but this has to be done by hand: find the mtl-files;
Bryce saved another file as a material file (Amorphium 3 material), but when I use that I get an error message in TG2.
Hope this may be helpfull for someone else too...

Oshyan

As long as the Bryce materials are being exported as image files rather than some proprietary procedural format then they should be importable into TG2. The same goes for any procedurally-based texture in another application. That program needs to be able to export to an image format (usually called rasterizing).

- Oshyan

su_liam

I haven't tried this with TG2 yet, but there was one snag I found when migrating ojects from Bryce to Wings3D at least. Bryce saves those mtl images as picts, on the macintosh version anyway. Wings couldn't handle pict, and I kind of doubt if TG2 can either. Convert the mtl images to jpeg and I think you're golden.