Tiled terrains meets blue marble...

Started by bigben, October 09, 2007, 09:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Making the most of my Globalmapper upgrade :)

I'm getting closer to being happy with my New Zealand render. I've seen some renders from other programs using the blue marble virtual textures and finally got off my bum to incorporate them into a TG2 render. Running a cropped render at the moment, and attached a screengrab with a low res preview.

The data for this project consists of

• 6 terrains generated with SRTM3 data
  • A greyscale image derived from 1km bathymetric data (maximum altitude set to -1m to remove low res landforms)
  • Level 5 Blue Marble textures (approx 250m resolution)
.... all files are at their full resolution.

The low res bathymetry fits in well as it looks blurred compared to the landforms, although it would be nice to get some more detail in the very shallow water.

The water surface consists of a number of coloured shaders using variations of the bathymetry image to simulate different depths. 1 image (4,000x4,000 pixels), 6 colour adjust nodes with 10 connections controlling the blending and colour functions of the surface shaders. Colour adjustments include black and white level values outside of the 0 - 1 range and various gamma adjustments (did I mention I really like the colour adjust node? ;))

Landforms consist of 6 non-square TERs to minimise redundant areas over the ocean (241Mb total file size)

Landforms surface now consists of a single shader with 2 tiled images fed through a colour adjust shader for contrast matching (I did mention I really like the colour adjust node, didn't I? ;))

The clouds are largely thanks to nvseal with some minor tweaking. The water and atmosphere are two things that definitely separate TG2 from other renders I've seen of the Blue Marble textures.... and when you get closer, the fractal detail added to low res data.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

The cropped render looks especially cool - nice job!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

nvseal

Can't wait to see the final render. It's going to be great.  When the render I have running now is finished, I'm going to work on polishing my new cloud setup. When I'm done, I'll pm you to send you the tgc so you can see if that works any better than my old setup.

bigben

I may have to run a smaller render to start with .... too impatient  ;) but then I'll set this one running in the background at work where it won't matter how long it runs. The crop was from a 2000x2000 render

Quote from: nvseal on October 09, 2007, 12:19:45 PM
Can't wait to see the final render. It's going to be great.  When the render I have running now is finished, I'm going to work on polishing my new cloud setup. When I'm done, I'll pm you to send you the tgc so you can see if that works any better than my old setup.

Judging from your posted images I dare say they would work very well.... thanks for the offer.

I don't suppose anyone knows a higher res source of blue marble images?  Level 5 looks pretty from orbit but it's a long way behind the 15m landsat images I use for generating masks.

DanD

Define,"Higher res" source, I use Darktree,I can make ANY color,bump,transparency
you would need

Dan

Oshyan

The Blue Marble Next Generation website should have all the data needed. Just find the month you want to download and click, then click "Details and More Imagery". You want the "A1", "C2", etc. files, 21,600x21,600 each, 500m resolution.

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2363

- Oshyan

bigben

The images I have are roughly 250m resolution when reprojected to UTM (according to GlobalMapper). Full globe consisting of 32 rows, 64 columns, 2048x2048 tiles

Thanks for the link Oshyan.   Looks like I got June. The panels you suggested were a bit smaller but then there's that last 2Gb TAR linked at the end of the list. This might be the same resolution as what I have (3Gb of ZIPs, inset in the attached image), but having the other months will give me some variation.

30-50m would be nice but that's probably asking a bit much.  I've got 71 tiles of landsat images downloaded so far (9Gb of TARs)... it's a slow process. Just sorted out a connection issue with getting SRTM3 data, so I should have the full set of that in a day or two.  At this rate I'm going to need yet another disk  ;)

I had thought of using a fractal to multiply the colour image to add a bit of tonal variation... distorted by normals etc... using an image only tends to get a little soft after AA is applied unless the resolution is relatively high.  I might also have to put the fake beach back to cover up some minor glitches along the coast due to differences in resolution between the texture and the terrain but it's little things like that that make you appreciate the versatility of TG2.

[edit]Running a 1000x1000 render with the changes mentioned above. The multiply colour node looked good up close in the preview window. It will be interesting to see how it actually turns out.  Used a BW fractal with colours 0.67/1 as the low/high colours.[/edit]

Oshyan

As far as the Blue Marble Next Gen data goes I was under the impression the 200m was the best available (publicly). Where did you get your data?

- Oshyan

bigben

I got them from Celestia motherlode.  Trying the 2Gb link for January now.

cyphyr

I was looking at the Blue Marble Next Gen data and whilst I was initially excited to find high res data I was quite disappointed with the quality, not too bad I guess but theres some serious jpegging (is that a word) in the sample I dl'd. My comparison is the work done by the guy who ran space-graphics.com (no longer available). I think I've got most of his stuff, Earth, Moon and Mars somewhere (he even did some high resolution asteroids) on dvd. He was giving the stuff away license free so I guess there would be no problem in shearing it. Let me know if your (or anybody else) interested and I'll look into finding somewhere to put them, theres probably space on my server.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

cyphyr, what version of the Blue Marble data were you looking at? There are non-lossy PNG's available...

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Ah that 'll be it then I was looking at the jpg's
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

Quote from: bigben on October 09, 2007, 08:52:02 PM
I got them from Celestia motherlode.  Trying the 2Gb link for January now.

OK to be specific I'm using the Blue Marble Next Generation 128K VT set from http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/earth.php (the second set)

I've decompressed the 2Gb file from Blue Marble but haven't opened a tile yet as I have a render running and I don't want to push my luck.  (I actually tried but forced PS to quit before the image displayed as it was taking forever.... TG gracefully moved it's memory usage to VM, dropping to only 26Mb RAM, 1.2Gb VM and is now reverting back to using more RAM now that PS has quit)

The other good thing about the set from Celestia (which I originally thought was a pain) is that the tiles are much smaller. This makes it easier to make a composite for a specific area for reprojecting in GM. The image for this project for example is only 6x8k pixels which is very manageable.