stacked stones

Started by Seth, October 10, 2007, 11:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

i would like to do something like this :
the problem is that i have no idea how i can do something like that... any idea ? anyone ?  :)

old_blaggard

Um...model it?  I can't think of any way of doing that in Terragen using the fake stones shader... although you could try it with individual rock objects.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

these things dont happen naturally....do they??
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Seth

hehe nope !
O_B : i tried individual rock but i failed... don't know why but when i created a second rock, i couldn't see it...

dhavalmistry

these wouldnt be hard to model.....subD's or nurbs would do the trick....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

We actually have some rocks in the downloads section of Ashundar that you could look at if you wanted to.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

DeathTwister

Hay there,

Well here is a shot of something I am currently working on that has exactly what you are looking for /chuckles.....

What I did was Make the rocks and put the Rocks I made in place using Bryce believe it or not, then exported them out as .obj's then re-textured them in XSI and brought them into tgd2.  Seems to work pretty good, but dhavalmistry is right, not to hard to model in any app really from Bryce, Max, LW, or XSI, it all goes to a .obj so you good to go, but do all the modeling and grouping outside of tgd2. Just the choice of what modeling App you have a preference 2 is all.

DeathTwisters Alley 
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

DT,

This looks very cool!

Quote from: DeathTwister on October 10, 2007, 02:28:06 PM
Hay there,

Well here is a shot of something I am currently working on that has exactly what you are looking for /chuckles.....

What I did was Make the rocks and put the Rocks I made in place using Bryce believe it or not, then exported them out as .obj's then re-textured them in XSI and brought them into tgd2.  Seems to work pretty good, but dhavalmistry is right, not to hard to model in any app really from Bryce, Max, LW, or XSI, it all goes to a .obj so you good to go, but do all the modeling and grouping outside of tgd2. Just the choice of what modeling App you have a preference 2 is all.

DeathTwisters Alley 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

damn ! Oo that's cool dude ! congrats !

DeathTwister

Haha thankies but congrat me after it is done my friend, as I have more buildings and people that I want in this puppy, and have 2 other artists that want to play in the final editing of this particular piece as I thought it could be fun to share, but thankies for the grats on the work so far on this and I sure hope when done it is even better and eye popping, we see.

Also does this help you at all? that was the most important part of my posting about all this, My posting was not to toot my horn? just help out and share as we were going in parallel thinking atm.  Bryce makes really cool rocks fast and I hate using other peoples meshes if I can make my own, I am a stickler that way I guess.

DT
ATOMIX Productions

Seth

yeah that's a way to do it... i will look further to do it in TG2 exclusively... (i do not use Bryce nor any other program...)
anyway thanks for sharing your way !!! every ideas are good to take !

DeathTwister

Well if you have no other Apps, humm, well did you try and use the same exact coordinates and then change the height value bar only so they stack one on one on top of each other?  Hum, now I am going to have to try this to see why it not work haha, ok after my regular work day I see if I can help ya out.  Back a bit later.  That should not be to hard now I think about it.

DT
ATOMIX Productions

Seth

hehehe yep i tried and failed that way... dunno why it doesn't work... thanks for trying ^^

DeathTwister

Yawn, Morning all for me, sorry me late, but been hella busy. Never enough hours in the day to get it all done.  OK I have a screen shot of some rocks stacked in tgd2 and a file if I can figure out how to attach it for you.

As you can see as I left space between each one that it can be done.  You just have to remember that where ever you place it to remember to write down the numbers of where it is placed then make sure it is exact on the next one, then use the little arrow bar to slide it up and down in the 90 degree angle is all.

The link to the tgd2 file is: http://www.theatomizer.com/Downloads/RockStackTest.tgd you will need to put your own rocks and textures in place of mine to see the file, but there you go /smiles.

Well hope that helps, hay I have a question all, how the hell do you make those little hyper links with little text? like thumb nails? I have not seen a way to do that on my gui tool bar here and would love to post this stuff that way?
ATOMIX Productions

SeerBlue