Video Card Confusion!!

Started by dhavalmistry, October 11, 2007, 07:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

I am really confused between Nvidia GeForce 8800 and ATI HD 2900. I like them both but sice I am using a 40 inch tv as my monitor and I am would like a bigger resolution than 1360 x 768.

What I would like to know is if I get ATI HD 2900, will I be able to use HDMI connection (DVI-HDMI) and get 1920 x 1080 as my desktop resolution at decent refresh rate.....

On the ATI website it says:

HDMI output support
Supports all display resolutions up to 1920x1080

I know I can use and have used DVI-HDMI with Nvidia 7900 but the resolution is choppy and blurry so I have to use VGA output and hence I am stuck with 1360 x 768

Also what is the difference between 8800 OC and 8800 OC2
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

dhavalmistry

JohnnyBoy

You might want to wait about a month:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2194161,00.asp

So if the rumor mill is to be believed, there's a big battle brewing in the $200-250 performance price segment between Nvidia and ATI's new products this fall. We wouldn't be surprised if there weren't other products coming before the end of the year as well, but we think these will be at the heart of it. If the chips contain a few key architectural enhancements, they could even be quite passable at running DX10 games. Once again, we have no firm information about these products, and the rumors floating around the 'net are almost always wrong about a few key things when predicting graphics products. We would still recommend those looking to buy a graphics card in the $200-250 price range should wait to see how the battle between Nvidia and ATI's new products shake out, because they both seem to be huge improvements over what's out there today at that price. For the truly next-generation stuff, we may have to wait until next year.

dhavalmistry

I am sorry you didnt get my question.....I want to run my computer display via HDMI connection (1920 x 1080), so will ATI run a 1920 x 1080 desktop resolution??.....

JohnnyBoy

It sounds like 1360x768 is the native resolution of your hdtv?, if this is the case then you will not get a better resolution with a new videocard. I have a 7800GT and it runs my 2 monitors at 2960x1050 @60Hz. HDMI also has compatibility issues that can cause signal loss between source and display. I personally prefer Nvidia cards as they have historically had better drivers for OpenGL and superior game performance. Good luck.

rcallicotte

ATI tend to have driver update problems, unless it doesn't matter to you.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?