Creating "Spires" and Heavy Displacement (Mojo-esque)

Started by efflux, October 12, 2007, 05:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

I use multiply a lot. It's great, since multiplying creates large changes. I found that by merging the initial tower shape with the clamped version you can get smoother towers that are then OK for negative displacement which is what I'm doing more now. This simple idea leads on to a lot of possibilities for smoothing out sharp maths functions. I'm trying to keep the displacement from going wildly outside the initial tower shape and distorting the geometry too far. I'm still not happy with the masking though, in terms of applying subsequent surfaces. I need to work on that. I'm also thinking if we could somehow manipulate altitude surface blends to take into account that the towers may be at various altitudes - this could be tricky and I've not got the time to experiment.

Volker Harun

The most simple way of masking is to use different Colour Adjusts and to subtract the results.
This way you have at least an overall, a bottom and a top-mask.

Using '-1' as input of an ArcCos gives you Pi. Multiplying this with any mask may let you give some Sin-controls over the masks.

Using the Sin-functions you can get Spires with a wall outside (like spire growing out of a crater). This is very difficult to mask, though.

Another thing that I pm-ed you is quite delicate and should be apllied before any other displacement ,-)

Volker

Volker Harun

Attached is an image which shows what I want to achieve.
The render is not perfect (very top and the top of the base) but with an intelligent Point of View it would look nice ,-)

old_blaggard

This looks awesome!  I have finally had a chance to read through this thread, and so I understand what you are doing here.  This is a great use of opacity - you just need to figure out a way to smooth the opacity.  Just a shot in the dark, but maybe that would be possible using some of the techniques in the voronoi thread.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

efflux

Hi,

I'm glad this info can be useful but the thread is a little misleading to be honest because the technique is not simply useful for creating spires. It just happens to be a way of doing that.

child@play

took volker's mojo.tgd and tried some stuff here. when you have a good basis like his node setup, things almost come too easy

edit: cut off edges at larger scale
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

pfrancke

You guys do InSpireing work!!  Thank you so much for sharing, I played with surface and reflection a little, I learned much from your examples.  Thank YOU.
Piet

http://www.ashundar.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4746

Volker Harun

Hello Piet,
I really appreciated your comments on my pictures - and I must admit that I like your image very much (eager to do more spires now .. but I am off time)

Xynedia

Volker Harun

Man schafft es auch mit weniger Nodes ... hier hatten efflux und ich einfach nur bannig herumprobiert, was überhaupt möglich ist, ohne eine Ahnung zu haben, was wir machen ... das waren die wilden Anfangszeiten :D

^... just gave an answer to Xynedia's point about that many nodes neede for the effect: You can get the result with less nodes. Efflux and me were playing around to se what is possible without knowing what we did ... those were the wild days of discovering TG

Xynedia

microwar

Took me the freedom to run the text through google translate.
Tried to correct small errors, but my German mine is not exactly something to brag about, rather the opposite.
Ps. the text above are translated from Norwegian  ;D

Quote from: Xynedia on January 02, 2012, 04:02:29 PM
Hi Volker,

But important wild early days! Sign

What a benefit as I do now.
Yes! the efflux appears to be the only one who can really make the real Mojoimages with TG2.
My picture Mojopira I could only thank your experimentation in here and make file found.
I never could have done something.
Or is the real world freelancah Schaffer as the volcano with the very nice picture or the orbital images.
Now I can change the parameter values ​​and create new Mojopira how halt.
I'm also joined on it, because I scoured the entire forum for interesting TG2 Files.

Unfortunately for me, TG2 is very cumbersome compared to Mojoworld.
In Mojoworld fascinated me especially in the render preview systematics Mojo3Pro.
And by the simpler design in all areas of the world I get along great.
e.g. I can create in Mojoworld gas ring nebulae, without having to use background images must.
On Xynedia Mojobilder also many who come from my experimentation times.
e.g. image 243 - On the planet Quasona
Where the sun has huge gas bubbles around.
http://www.xynedia.de/planetenwelten/august.html - last image
I have with each other Displcementierten 4 Mojosonnen designed nested.
A second application of this kind is the sun in Terragenbild 012 - On the planet Xopertinus
http://www.xynedia.de/terragen-welten/terragen-bilder.html - 12 Picture
This consists of three interlocking Mojosonne displacementierten and refracted sun.
The halo was subsequently incorporated to the overall image of the sun as a background
to insert into the Terragenbitmap background.
Or like this Mojobild here:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2093379&username=claudia02&member&np
Once a renderin without custom background image.
Also play around with the texture mode for interstellar gas clouds in space to create mr been found.
While I have many things in Mojoworld himself found out, because it was easier user-programmed standard,
I often get at Terragen2 one rappel, go ahead and not because even for a simple terrain Vonoroy
and nesting scurrilous cloud formations often complex nodes are required and it is this also
have very confusing names.
In Mojo e.g. I know directly what Rigdeperlin or sparse or Consulotion Vonoroy causes the terrain or clouds.
But each comes with a clear and distinct, and the program will also work with the program,
which he achieved the best results.

Xynedia

rcallicotte

Wow, I love this topic.  I'm so glad Efflux started it and so many jumped in it to learn.  This is the best way to learn TG.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Xynedia