Render Hang up

Started by NWsenior07, October 13, 2007, 11:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsenior07

I've got deep and I'm running vista, but for some reason whenever I try to render a .tgd I'm working on in the high quality settings it just freezes up. It also takes ridiculously long to render another file I've been meaning to do but it bogs down badly partway through the render. I've posted both .tgds. Suggestions?

rcallicotte

I'm not in a place I can check your TGD.  One way to troubleshoot something like this is just back off on the high quality settings until it works.  If it's just taking a while, it just takes a while.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

DanD

well..For both I got a whole slew of error messages,(Unable to read image)
The first one ..High Flight,One of the reasons it s taking so long to render is because of the 2 cloud layers. I have it rendering here,on my machine. I'll let you know how long it takes
but just as an estimate Its looking like 20+ hours on this machine.
  The other...I cant get it to open

Dan

cyphyr

I opened the first one and the only error I got was the SR71 object (that I don't have). Did a quick view and that was slow. I don't think its your cloud layers (inho), two is not that much and your sample quality is not high. Two things I did notice though. Firstly you have a lot of orphan shaders, they're in the scene but are not connected to anything ~ even though they're not connected they might be taking up processor cycles (don't really know). Secondly your terrain is made of two power fractals, one of which is an alpine fractals (the slow one). If anything this is the slow down, but as its a major part of your scene I doubt you'll want to delete it.
Just my penny worth (if that :) )
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

NWsenior07

The apline fractal as the source of the issue makes sense. I've considered changing it to a regular powerfractal, I'm not sure if I like the ruggedness of the mountains in that one.

NWsenior07

Has anyone had luck with the steppe file? I've tried adjusting some of the quality settings but I run into the same problem. I tried doing a crop of the area causing the issue but it hangs up again. I've loaded images of my recent attempts.

Oshyan

It looks like there may be reflectivity/specular involved here and problems with the reflection system are well-known. That could be responsible for the crash. Otherwise I'm not sure, I'd have to take a good look at the .tgd. I would suggest eliminating elements from the scene 1-by-1, including objects, to narrow down the cause. Any additional information you could provide would be helpful, but try the reflection possibility first as that would just be an example of a known issue and something we could file under "already being fixed".

- Oshyan