Sphere Arches Issue

Started by WAS, July 23, 2020, 12:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I think it was back in TG3 there were lots of arches going around, and I wanted to do stuff like that for fun, had an idea of spine like things. But I'm a little confused. Instead of a cube like I used a sphere hoping for better displacement results, but it's tearing up really bad, with just basic displacement from a SSS. :(

Is this no longer viable in TG?

Curiously I imported a sphere OBJ and tried to use a mesh displacer, seeing if it could handle it, but any disp over 1 and the whole 800m x 250m x 250m sphere pops out of existence.

N-drju

I think that the original (benchmark) arch was a sphere, so the object choice is correct.

This is a really tricky feature honestly and I remember that SSSs were involved. Small changes could have had a huge impact on the arch's shape. Perhaps you should first try out the benchmark .tgd if you still have it. That should save some time.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I made that benchmark arch, but I can't remember what I did. Better indeed open that file.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 25, 2020, 05:55:12 AM...but I can't remember what I did
Sounds familiar to me... ;D

Dune

Nothing wrong, but you may have to check/uncheck the normal thing on the sphere node. It seems it needs some updating now and again.
I used the sphere, not the poly sphere. I actually need to find out what the difference is.