Jumping on the haze kick... The Last Dawn

Started by WAS, August 01, 2018, 01:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Looks great! One suggestion: I'd never use a V3 cloud for this type of mist. V2 is faster and looks pretty much the same. V3 is great for real clouds.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on August 02, 2018, 03:29:42 AM
Looks great! One suggestion: I'd never use a V3 cloud for this type of mist. V2 is faster and looks pretty much the same. V3 is great for real clouds.

Ironically, you get better streaking god rays imo, that extend farther it seems. When using v2 there's a lot of cut-off god-rays they'd make it partly through a plume and fade out too quickly when the fog was denser). You also get better dark areas in shadows. So, I would definitely use them, and render time is negligible. Only barely 2 hour render. I'm fully aware of peoples bias towards v3 render time, but it's lighting model is significantly better. Even the colour modulators interact better in shadows and lights. v2 clouds are used for the main haze. Just using v3 for fog which creates a much better mood imo.

Another render. I should have done a quick 5 minute preview render to check the beams, they're a bit too strong for my taste but still looks good. Going to do a mid day render with same haze settings.

luvsmuzik

I know you are probably opposed to a second sun, but I miss that wonderful bark texture at this great POV. Great series renders!

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 02, 2018, 10:43:25 AM
I know you are probably opposed to a second sun, but I miss that wonderful bark texture at this great POV. Great series renders!

With the exposure in a camera you'd definitely not be seeing that bark, but to the naked eye not focusing on the sunset itself I'd imagine the sky would still be lighting the forest pretty well. I may do another render with brighter GI or a secondary sun for ambient light. Playing with a mid day sun right now and feeling like i need butterflies and maybe like chattering tiny indistinguishable bugs. Butterflies I could probably grab some images of but not sure about tiny bugs. Maybe v2 cloud? Or would that just look like cloud? xD Will have to try.

Seems same density settings for mid day will not work. Looks like a real foggy situation. Ambient GI light brightens clouds way to much so had to drop density.

luvsmuzik

I know what you mean, I almost ran over a construction flagman driving into a bright sun. Thank God he had a bright vest on, I finally saw!

Painted shader for fake stones can do a trick too...weird a mask fractal doesn't though.

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 02, 2018, 10:52:42 AM
I know what you mean, I almost ran over a construction flagman driving into a bright sun. Thank God he had a bright vest on, I finally saw!

Painted shader for fake stones can do a trick too...weird a mask fractal doesn't though.

Not sure what's going on with the stones. There is no mask at all. Changing seeds, variation, variation scale, all yield same results in render, but 2D preview will have stones all in different locations.

Here's a preview of mid-day.

otakar

The first one, probably unintended, looks like fire. With much of California dealing with the fires, it immediately jumped out at me... Yesterday smelled like a campfire, I am thousands of km east...

WAS

Quote from: otakar on August 02, 2018, 12:28:56 PM
The first one, probably unintended, looks like fire. With much of California dealing with the fires, it immediately jumped out at me... Yesterday smelled like a campfire, I am thousands of km east...

That was the intended look actually. Loosing tons of land, effecting both people and animals. I want to return to that original setup (still have light sources in) just want to add little more lighting but need to manually add some shrubs to mask out to "light source" so the haze and lighting can do the rest.

My family is heavy into forest and wildlife conservation. My uncle fire jumps, as well as doing stuff down in Antarctica, though not sure on the specifics there. Probably arctic research and such, like the thawing forest remains.

WAS

I path traced this scene last night, but unfortunately it seems the exaggerate surface details plays a little havoc on one of my bark textures (I believe the original AP sent me) while is fine against my edited lighter coloured version. Also the low quality in the fog was really exaggerated somehow haha

luvsmuzik

I love this scene and I think it is a great render! Are you using soft shadows too?

WAS

I actually dont think I enabled them but I may for a second go to try and fix the noise issue against that particular trunk texture.

luvsmuzik

Yes, shadows don't really preview IMO, but sometimes I even edit the population manually when a closeup gets odd.

At least we have shadows and always things improve.....eventually. :)

cocateho26

Some awesome god rays going on here. I love the feel of the scene. The very 1st image almost looks like a forest fire.

WAS

Quote from: cocateho26 on November 21, 2018, 12:15:56 AM
Some awesome god rays going on here. I love the feel of the scene. The very 1st image almost looks like a forest fire.

Thanks, and yeah that was what I was going for. Still have the light sources in the scene. I was playing with light smoke with details instead of solid colour and light sources.

Oshyan

I actually like it too, sort of as-is, but with the addition of soft shadows I think it would be even better.

- Oshyan