Command line option for color bit depth and image resolution?

Started by daudvyd, August 15, 2018, 03:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daudvyd

I'm hoping these might be undocumented features:

Is it possible to specify from the command line that a TIF should be saved at 16-bit color per channel (48-bits in total)? When I save from the GUI, I specify this setting. When I save from the command line, Terragen defaults to 8-bits per channel (24-bits in total). I'm assuming this results in a slight loss of color/tone.

Is it possible to override the resolution setting in a Terragen file to render at the command line at greater or lower resolution?

sboerner

QuoteWhen I save from the command line, Terragen defaults to 8-bits per channel (24-bits in total).

Do you mean render from the command line? Is your default render save format (under Preferences) set to 16-bit tif? I render everything from the command line to 32-bit exr, with the save format set to that, and it works fine.

QuoteIs it possible to override the resolution setting in a Terragen file to render at the command line at greater or lower resolution?

This would be nice. It can be a pain to have to open large TG files just to change the output pixel dimensions. Here's hoping that it's an undocumented option.

daudvyd

Thank you Sboerner! I did not see that preference in the GUI or realize the command line renderer would use those options.

Matt

When rendering from the command line, the bit depth is specified in the render node parameter "tiff_bit_depth". If I recall correctly, a value of 0 means 8 bit and 1 means 16 bit, but you can verify this by saving a file with different settings from the GUI (they're on the Sequence/Ouput tab).

Preferences have no effect on command line renders, at least in current versions.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Also please note the win_command_line.txt documentation in the /docs folder of the Terragen install directory. To specify different resolution, you'd need to setup an additional render node in the project file itself. You can choose which render node you call from the commandline.

- Oshyan

sboerner

QuotePreferences have no effect on command line renders, at least in current versions.

Thanks for the clarification, Matt. In my case, then, is the command line renderer saving to exr format simply because that's what is specified by the output (-o) filename extension? And is the output 16-bit (half) or 32-bit (float)?

Matt

Quote from: sboerner on August 24, 2018, 03:08:28 PM
In my case, then, is the command line renderer saving to exr format simply because that's what is specified by the output (-o) filename extension?

Yes. File type is determined by the filename extension.

And is the output 16-bit (half) or 32-bit (float)?

The same as with TIFF, bit depth and compression settings are controlled by the TGD file. You can find them in render node -> Sequence/Output -> EXR Options.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.