What may become of Homo Sapiens

Started by René, August 25, 2018, 07:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

People commonly assume that our species has evolved very little since prehistoric times. Yet new studies using genetic information
from populations around the globe suggest that the pace of human evolution increased with the advent of agriculture and cities.

If we are still evolving, what might our species look like in a millennium should we survive whatever
environmental and social surprises are in store for us? Speculation ranges from the hopeful to the dystopian.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-may-become-of-homo-sapiens/

N-drju

Very interesting article. I read it all. Here are some thoughts:

1. If anything, I would say that physically we are evolving - people are growing taller, in many cases more athletic (compare 30 - 40 something's height with our grandmas). Many also enjoy excellent health and not because pharmacy but because nature constructed them this way. It is relatively uncommon to hear about mid-30 person suffering from a serious ailment or disease.
_____

2. Psychologically we are devolving. People are no longer able to express their thoughts in a free and coherent manner or have a model, healthy conversations with one another. Smartphones, Internet and apps have all the answers and set us free from thinking, taking decisions or engaging in a generally challenging (but more rewarding) social, face-to-face interactions.

Speaking from an anatomical point of view - a muscle or an organ that your body does not use is gradually disappearing. Brain is no exception. Mankind is a lazy species that likes to make life easier for themselves through little technological tidbits. However, I believe there is a certain threshold beyond which we become sitting ducks. And we are closer than farther from it these days...

In a very preliminary way, I see future humans as well-developed physically but with weak minds, used to comfort and freedom from thought.
_____

3. In regards to the previous point, do take a note that Darwin's theory itself has evolved. Survival of the fittest - how many people died in car wrecks due to them texting while driving or trying to enter GPS coordinates? Rejecting some of the life's "amenities" looks like a prudent, self-preservation strategy these days...
_____

4. Living for 250 years is not a problem. Living for 250 years and enjoying good health is! Wealth, experience and large, happy family nets you nothing if you are bound to a hospital bed for seventy years...
_____

5. Mind uploading and fusion with IT or machines have been mentioned time and again but, in my humble opinion, it may have horrific consequences.

Let's say that I just uploaded my mind into IT environment. Given the complexity of human brain, thoughts and consciousness, what guarantee do I have that I will sense and actually enjoy sunlight, talking to people, exercising and sleeping (some digital version of it anyway) the way I do now?

Consider this as well - digital data may or may not be accurate and some bits may go missing or simply become corrupted. What happens to my digital personality then? Will I become a digitaly-disabled person, because someone did not take proper care to preserve who I am? I will be trapped in a digital form as a messed-up computer code, until someone releases "Patch 1.03 for Andrzej"?

Even worse, what if my uploaded mind becomes infected with spyware or adware, effectively making me a zombie? And then someone erases my life with an antivirus as a "potential threat" or a "trojan"...?? Digitalizing human existence is hardly an "evolution" once you take these possibilities into account.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"