Turning GI surface details off for objects?

Started by René, August 26, 2018, 07:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

GI surface details work wonders on terrains but not always on objects. There probably won't be a way to turn it off for objects, or is there?
The fish is a WIP.

bobbystahr

Hmmm, I personally see nothing out of place with your lovely fish René
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

We don't have a way to turn it off per object at the moment. I see the problem though. What are you GISD settings? Can you find a lower strength that looks good?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

It might look better if you increase "bounce to the ounce" to be equal or greater than occlusion weight. When light bounces between bright surfaces, this adds light so that their shadows aren't so deep. The brighter the surface, the more effect this will have, and it also is tinted by the colour of the surface, so if your terrain is dark and your fish are bright this might be exactly what you need.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

René

Thanks Matt. The setting for occlusion weight is 4 and for radius 24. In this case I need these large amounts because I use bloom and experimental atmo bloom to achieve a kind of soft focus effect in the water, but unfortunately that makes the background look flat.
Until now, it wasn't entirely clear to me what bounce to the ounce does, but other settings might do the trick, so I'm going to experiment.

Dune

I sometimes have the same problem with some of my people objects, but unfortunately for vegetation I often like a higher value. It's finding the right setting indeed. I did some experimenting with buildings the moment GISD came available, and it worked really well to get some bounced light on the walls.
I am very pleased we have it anyway! I remember Oshyan rendering one of my pieces with the new GISD when it was not available yet, what a treat!

Btw; beautiful fish!!