upscaling "fake stones shader"

Started by murkk, August 28, 2018, 05:00:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

murkk

When I try to upscale the "fake stones shader" using transform input, the "pancake effect" disappears and the stones get stretched flat as shown in the attachment.

murkk

twist and shear does help increase the displacement height but the "pancake effect" is still missing.

WAS

There may be part of the fake stones that don't respond well scaling. I've never attempted to transform fake stones as they have a internal scale.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/

murkk

August 28, 2018, 04:45:07 pm #3 Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:50:26 pm by murkk
How would I go about completely leaving out "fake stones shader" when applying transform input in a node tree? My idea is to upscale "fake stones shader" within it's own parameters and then upscaling everything else with transform input.

edit: plugging the "fake stones shader" into "transform merge shader" with "use world space" enabled seems to work.

WAS

August 29, 2018, 12:42:05 am #4 Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:45:29 am by WASasquatch
Quote from: murkk on August 28, 2018, 04:45:07 pm
How would I go about completely leaving out "fake stones shader" when applying transform input in a node tree? My idea is to upscale "fake stones shader" within it's own parameters and then upscaling everything else with transform input.

edit: plugging the "fake stones shader" into "transform merge shader" with "use world space" enabled seems to work.


The "best" idea would to keep your fake stones as the child input of a surface layer, separate from your main terrain tree. You can than apply fake stones over whatever transformed terrain, while also being able to apply modifiers like altitude constraints and slope constraints.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/

Dune

What is your intention exactly? Upscaling fake stones sounds like making their sizes bigger, and that can be done inside the fake stone shader.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 29, 2018, 01:52:20 am
What is your intention exactly? Upscaling fake stones sounds like making their sizes bigger, and that can be done inside the fake stone shader.


I think fake stones are just part of his terrain tree, and thus what he's transforming/scaling includes fake stones, rather than applying fake stones to whatever transform you're doing.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/

Matt

The transform shaders only change the texture space which is used to calculate the shader. They don't change the magnitude of the displacement, although this is a feature that I'm thinking about adding.

Fake Stones Shader has a function input to control the scale and another to control the "tallness", so it is possible to control it with separate nodes (e.g. a Constant Scalar or Constant Vector). Depending on how your network is set up, you might find this useful.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 29, 2018, 02:56:58 pm
The transform shaders only change the texture space which is used to calculate the shader. They don't change the magnitude of the displacement, although this is a feature that I'm thinking about adding.

Fake Stones Shader has a function input to control the scale and another to control the "tallness", so it is possible to control it with separate nodes (e.g. a Constant Scalar or Constant Vector). Depending on how your network is set up, you might find this useful.


I honestly keep forgetting about those two functions and how useful they really could be.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/

Dune