A Simple Planet

Started by nvseal, October 18, 2007, 05:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Thanks a lot. That'll help me!!
I did it quite different. I didn't use water. I just separated some blue shiny surface from the land by using some fractal breakup shader.
It doesn't nearly look as good as yours but I like it anyway.

Marcos Silveira

I wonder when we'll be able to shape our continents exactly the way we want them.
If we can allready do it, please tell me how... :(

nvseal

Another version.

zionner

Nice Work,

Ever thought of Adding N + South Poles into the render?

nvseal

I've done it before. I'm yet to decide if I want to do it in this render.

zionner

Well, In my view It could add something to the render that feels missing,

as the planet as a whole would have some sort of ice, somewhere at least

bigben

I'd stick with the surfaces first... less distraction. ;) The light patches around the coast are a nice addition. If you can do the same thing with some of the other colours, or mix up the patterns for the contrasting colours it will really start coming together.

nvseal

A bit off topic from what I'm actually working on, but I thought  would put this out here too being that is along the same lines. No atmosphere (yet). Inspired by Io, this supposed to be a moon. It may not look like. To me it does but at the same time it doesn't. But here it is.

old_blaggard

These are really cool colors!  This actually looks like a thick and swirling atmosphere to me.  Your progress with space shots is really amazing :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

I like the last two versions.  The Earth version is believable and makes me want to explore it.

The second version is well done and belongs in a sci-fi story.  Totally want to see this in the next Star Trek or in Serenity 2.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nvseal

A higher res version.

bigben

Looks like someone moved their cloud setup to surface layers   ;)

Some of the patterns look a little too cloud-like but the overall distributions are looking much more believable. There are certainly aspects of this you could apply to your original project.

Mr_Lamppost

I like the moon

A couple of those impact craters with the long pale rays spreading out from them would finish it off nicely; I have no idea how you would do those. 

Your colouring makes me think more of Callisto than IO but there is a lot of variation in the colouring in these NASA photos

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA03456

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Will

Neat I like the colors. I can see some Io in there.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

nvseal

Okay, I tried to add some mountains. I think I need to add a bit more variation and I might add a desert or a polar cap (or both).