A Simple Planet

Started by nvseal, October 18, 2007, 05:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

NICE!  An ice cap that looks real.  Good job.   8)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Hannes

Fantastic. Can't wait to see your planet with clouds!!

Will

great job, can't wait to see more mate.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

overlordchuck

FrankB

Hi Nvseal,

how's the ice cap done? Mind to explain a bit?

Thanks,
Frank

nvseal

I don't have this exact file in front of me right know but I can still give you the technique. In the surface layer's slope constraints tab you need to enable the "Use Y for slope Slope Key" check key at the bottom. Then you need to change the drop down menu from "Final Normal" to "Planet/object Normal." And that is pretty much all there is to it. In this image I had to do some tweaking to get the fractals the way I wanted and I also added another restricted surface layer to fill out the top half of the ice cap. If you would like, I can try to upload the file sometime so you can take a look at it.

Volker Harun

Falcon

Ok, this is more than a year old, but - it's exactly what I'd need.

This project still alive? Is there a .tgd available somewhere?

I'd pay money for a "basic planet" .tgd where stuff like ocean, continents, etc. are set up. It doesn't have to be perfect, but getting simple things like continents right is way too much trouble for my small budget of time.

Blonderator

Quote from: Falcon on December 20, 2008, 09:54:25 AM
I'd pay money for a "basic planet" .tgd where stuff like ocean, continents, etc. are set up. It doesn't have to be perfect, but getting simple things like continents right is way too much trouble for my small budget of time.

Please don't dig up year old threads to ask for someone to hand their hours of work to you on a silver platter.
If you want a .TGD of this scene it would have been more appropriate to contact nvseal via PM.

I learned his method of planet creation in minutes. Refining his method and making it look realistic took me days. Don't complain that you have a short budget of time; creating something good in Terragen will take effort and time. It is not meant to be easy, and there are a lot of tools to learn how to use.

If you do a little searching around these forums, you will find that nvseal has, in fact, described in detail exactly how to create planets like this. He even describes how to make his perfect procedural clouds.

rcallicotte

...like he (Blonderator) said....
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Falcon

Quote from: Blonderator on December 20, 2008, 07:21:17 PM
Please don't dig up year old threads to ask for someone to hand their hours of work to you on a silver platter.
If you want a .TGD of this scene it would have been more appropriate to contact nvseal via PM.

Err, sorry? I said "I'd pay money", so I don't get the accusations of wanting freebies.

And yes, I know there's a lot of stuff to be found on the forum. I lack the time to do all the searching, adapting to the current TG2, testing and fiddling. If someone wants to do it, as I said: I'd pay. Make me an offer.

Not everyone in here lists TG2 as their main hobby. For some of us, it's just a tool to create some landscapes, heightmaps, skies or whatever for the real project.