FEATURE REQUESTS

Started by rolland1013, October 03, 2018, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

That's good to know. Thanks, Jordan! So far I used Crazy Bump, but I'll check Materialize.

cyphyr

I have often wanted to turn a normal map into a displacement map. Of course, simply turning it into a greyscale is not the way to go.
Actually, I don't understand how a displacement map can be derived from a normal map. They are describing very different things. The normal map describes the "real" angle of a surface relative to the actual value whereas a displacement map is a perpendicular (clue is in the name!) displacement relative to the surface.
How can one derive one from the other?
(please excuse my non-technical language)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on September 27, 2019, 03:35:17 PMI have often wanted to turn a normal map into a displacement map. Of course, simply turning it into a greyscale is not the way to go.
Actually, I don't understand how a displacement map can be derived from a normal map. They are describing very different things. The normal map describes the "real" angle of a surface relative to the actual value whereas a displacement map is a perpendicular (clue is in the name!) displacement relative to the surface.
How can one derive one from the other?
(please excuse my non-technical language)

From what I can see in Materialize (haven't tried to decompile anything or look at source), it seem to fire light from relative off-set angles in 360 degrees, creating the microdisplacement you'd see in render engines or game engines, in a grayscale environment. The final 360 equalized passes are than editable via contrast bias settings and such.

If provided maps, it seems to read them in a 3D environment, using shaders to create maps.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Animation F-Curve Out of Range Types

Just wanted to add this to Feature Requests:  https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26970.0.html

-Derek

rolland1013

OpenExr 2.0 with Deep output

This one just came up again here at my studio.  I think I've seen others request this feature here. 

Niel

Oshyan

Quote from: rolland1013 on October 14, 2019, 07:11:40 PMOpenExr 2.0 with Deep output

This one just came up again here at my studio.  I think I've seen others request this feature here. 

Niel
It's in the project tracker, but I'll bump it with your request.

- Oshyan