Learning about nodes

Started by Valentina, October 22, 2018, 09:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valentina

Hi, I've been using Terragen since a while, now.. And I think I have a pretty good knowledge of the software in its very basic features. I would like to start learning how to use other nodes that I find in all your shaders/clips like the ones for the foam, the cracks.. I don't want just to use them in a scene, I want to understand them even if it takes a lot of time, but I don't know where to start. You know, all those function nodes that allow you to achieve such beautiful results, are there resources for learning how to use them? I've read the wiki guide, but in this case the simple theory doesn't help me. And I've tried studying your clips/shader, but they are really complex for me to understand.
Sorry for my english, difficult topic in another language..
Thank you all
Valentina

Oshyan

archonforest

I think the best to start clarify their names. This process will pull you into math...lots of math. If you are able to understand the math that working in the nodes especially the blue nodes then you will succeed. If you cannot grasp the math part then unfortunately you have only one way to go. Trial and error and that takes some serious time.

To give you an example: Have a friend who has nothing to do with TG at all. But he learned advanced math on a university and when I showed him a blue node network in TG he understood the system and what they do very fast!! I was like  ??? :( >:( :-[ :-X...

So there is no shortcut here.  :-[
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Valentina

Thank you Oshyan, I'll give a look
edit: books!!!! I'm so happy.. you talk about three books in that topic, which one should I begin with, according to you?

Archonforest, I'm quite good at math (not like your friend!), and I'm familiar with nodes in Maya and Nuke, there are many similarities, my problem now is that I don't see how they can apply to terragen, terrains and so on, but I hope I will improve myself with practice and advice. Thank you :)

archonforest

Quote from: Valentina on October 23, 2018, 09:28:52 AM
Thank you Oshyan, I'll give a look
edit: books!!!! I'm so happy.. you talk about three books in that topic, which one should I begin with, according to you?

Archonforest, I'm quite good at math (not like your friend!), and I'm familiar with nodes in Maya and Nuke, there are many similarities, my problem now is that I don't see how they can apply to terragen, terrains and so on, but I hope I will improve myself with practice and advice. Thank you :)

Great news. Hope u succeed with the blue bastards lol  :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

Quote from: archonforest on October 23, 2018, 07:26:18 AM
To give you an example: Have a friend who has nothing to do with TG at all. But he learned advanced math on a university and when I showed him a blue node network in TG he understood the system and what they do very fast!! I was like  ??? :( >:( :-[ :-X...

Precisely!

Valentina, if you already understand the math well, you might want to try Graphics Shaders: Theory and Practice, Second Edition first. But the math parts of 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development may go quickly for you, and let you get to the application stuff, which may also be a good way to go. It's hard to say really. Maybe whichever of the two you can get for less money. ;)

- Oshyan