Balade matinale (path tracing version added)

Started by Antoine, October 31, 2018, 03:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine

Hello,
Here is a new scene rendered in standard mode.
Many kind of grass here.
Lombardy poplars as well as the tree on the left side are made with The Grove 3d in Blender.
I will try a render in Path Tracing mode.

David.

WAS

Very nice! Love the tire tread and the vegetation. Distant terrain is also pleasing. My only critique is the rectangular edges coming from what I am assuming is tire tracks. You'd think being made we/muddy they would have settled and "eroded" more when dry, especially entering the cracking and crumbling stage after mud settling.

mhaze

luvsmuzik

A path we would all like to travel. Very nice! :)

sboerner

Love the deep-focus feel of this image. Really nice detail in the rover tracks.

Did you use more than one surface for the track? The effect of the partly buried stone layer and the loose stones on the surface is so natural and convincing.

Antoine

Thank you !

There are two surface layers for the path :  image and fake stones. There are also several kind of displacements.

David.

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Oshyan

This is extremely realistic to my eye! Curious to see a path traced version. I am guessing it will darken up the shadowed areas of the grasses, and the shadows in foreground-left. It will probably also affect the apparent detail in the mountain in shadows (I have found that using "Exaggerate Detail" can actually be good in these cases), and perhaps some of the distant trees.

- Oshyan

WAS

Curious if you are using exp atmo bloom on the clouds? They really do look photo-realistic with the sun off-scene cascading down.

I have a feeling PT will be especially noticeable on the road in shadow, as well yeah, the left there and background. I highlighted areas I think will be most effected and probably look amazing

Antoine

Thank you !
A Path traced version is in the process but it will take some time, my CPU is rather old.
Yes I am using Atmo bloom. I did also lower the multiple scattering parameters to 2 and 1.5 respectively. I just noticed that I forgot to enable "receive shadows from surface" for the clouds, it is fixed for the path tracing version.

David.

Antoine

Finally, here is the path tracing version.
Looks more contrasted, more detailed and much more realistic in shadow areas.
I did not use exaggerate surface details because I wanted to see the AO vs Path Tracing difference.

Render settings :
micropoly detail : 0.8
Anti-aliasing : 8
No shadow on clouds and no shadows from surface in the atmophere and clouds quality settings to accelerate render time
render time in an old i7 970 : 17 hours

David

WAS

It honestly didn't effect the shadowed road as much as I thought it would, however in general the grass, distant forest, and the tree left look much better as far as shadows go.

DocCharly65

Really good! And the pathtracing seemes to have a really positive effect on the overall shadows.

masonspappy

I was blown away by the realism here. I've walked old pathways like that many times. Beautiful work!

Oshyan

Interesting, a more subtle difference than I expected in some ways, but mostly it did what I thought, making the grasses and other smaller vegetation really look better "anchored" to the ground, more like they belong there (darker shadows, but in a realistic way). Did you really use AO on the original, or GI?

Also seems like slight post processing differences make the vegetation a little brighter in the PT version, eh?

- Oshyan