Classic Erosion topic broken

Started by WAS, November 01, 2018, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Posting on Classic Erosion topic yields a blank page, and than the forum complains about the post already being submitted if you try again, but it isn't there.

Oshyan

Works for me. Does it happen regardless of post contents? Have you tried using the built-in list formatting?

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 01, 2018, 07:28:10 PM
Works for me. Does it happen regardless of post contents? Have you tried using the built-in list formatting?

- Oshyan

That was just basic characters, no list (it would show the bbcode)

And yes, I tried multiple times [and just now], originally I didn't have a second point to the post so it was just about the maps. I've tried since last night (technically over 24/hr at this point, it's 12:29 PM here).

Now I have a third part regarding shared resources, cause there was a point I didn't share that is when you launch a new TG instances, when the window that asks if you want to use free version pops up (the splash), the DK plugin window, and progress window from the last TG instance maximizes over the splash. All on it's own as if something is triggering it in the new instance.  This happens when TG is completely closed to task bar via the Desktop button.

Oshyan

Yes, I know it was non-BB code, my point was it might work *better* with the BBCode. ;)

Anyway I have no idea why this is happening now just to you. There are injection protections in place that can cause this kind of issue, but if you're just doing super plain text it really shouldn't be (and we've relaxed the filters already, too).

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 02, 2018, 08:45:56 PM
Yes, I know it was non-BB code, my point was it might work *better* with the BBCode. ;)

Anyway I have no idea why this is happening now just to you. There are injection protections in place that can cause this kind of issue, but if you're just doing super plain text it really shouldn't be (and we've relaxed the filters already, too).

- Oshyan

Confusing. I guess I should try today.

Figured it out, it's the resolution of the image (8k) similar to before, but this time not both resolution and size. It's just not throwing the right error, so the system acts like it made the post (but somehow doesn't post it).

I tried several time to post again but kept getting "post has already been made" until I removed that specific image. So I scaled it down to 1024 and it uploaded fine.

Oshyan

Ah, yeah. No 8k images. Ever. Please. Dear god. WAS, save us some server space bud. :P

I do wish SMF would give better error messages though. I've thought about switching to a more modern forum system for ages but it'd be a huge undertaking. Maybe one day...

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 02, 2018, 09:05:09 PM
Ah, yeah. No 8k images. Ever. Please. Dear god. WAS, save us some server space bud. :P

I do wish SMF would give better error messages though. I've thought about switching to a more modern forum system for ages but it'd be a huge undertaking. Maybe one day...

- Oshyan

It was only 148kb. It was basically a solid black jpeg with hint of gray lines. I suspect it's using basic old GD code.

IPB and BN both have professional import tools,but alas are subscription based.

Honestly I think Terragen Community would benefit most from HumHub. Take a look.  It's geared towards are sorts of technical communities. And I know it well. Helped development with tons of optimization and bug fixes and used to write plugins. Would take the whole system into the modern age.

Oshyan

Image file size isn't the only thing that matters in this case, resolution is also an issue (and yes it's GD).

I'll take a look at Humhub, I wasn't previously familiar. Currrently I lean toward Discourse for modern forums, but we're not likely to migrate to anything any time soon.

- Oshyan

WAS

Yeah it's the resolution. GD is pretty limited, and really meant for basic graphical drawing for things on the fly, actual image manipulation is slow and not suggested. Enter ImageMagick.

And yeah Discourse is pretty cool, I remember them from years back. I think we used them for awhile on some sort of hosting deal. Humhub is nice because it's geared towards collaborative discussion, tasks, multimedia (all vastly configurable). The main thing I like is the social network aspect which allows users (if active) to create pages, such as pages for freelancing and commissions, professional work, galleries, their business, teaching and tutorials, etc.