Feature Request: Procedural Rock Grain Generator

Started by Cyber-Angel, October 21, 2007, 01:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

I like the first and the third one (of efflux' latest) looking very
promising,gotta give that a try i guess.

rcallicotte

efflux, these last two look very promising.  Nice work.  Is creating this effect too much information to pass on through a tutorial?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

I went this angle due to being a bit stuck with limited basis functions and the issues of getting more varied rock forms - partly sparked of by this thread. It seems you can still get quite a bit within TG2's present limits. What you see in the previous images is mostly just using the alpine shader which I never explored much before. If you follow the things I mentioned and just play with that shader you should find similar results. I have messed further with surfaces but as usual I always stray away from real world forms. Maybe in an H R Giger world you would see this.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9633/warp10wb8.jpg

Once again. No blue function nodes.

This is three perlin billows warped and noise stretched in the power fractal's settings, then simply merged. Each has different feature sizes and stretched in different dimensions of X,Y,Z. I'm getting more into just getting good surface details etc now rather than taking TG2 to the extremes of it's technology capability.

You need to play with all these fractal settings. They are very interdependent. You will only find interesting stuff by exploring. No knowledge of how any graphs work is needed for this.

cyphyr

Hehe when I saw he image I had not read your commentary and my thought was, "Well thats a good example of somewhat wild natural forms, now how are you going to re-produce them in Terragen"
You certainly get lava flows and fossilized mud flows just like that.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

efflux

This is the cool thing with TG2 and as far as surfacing is concerned, I haven't explored it enough. TG2 gives beautifully natural rich surfaces very easily. In Mojo you could get those forms and actually more spectacularly but it would be very difficult to give them that natural rock form look.

Negative displacement is important for the alpine fractal because it can give you totally different results. Try changing the displacement amplitude to -1000 for the terrain. You'll see what happens and to avoid the terrain ending up 1000m too low you can use displacement offset to bring it back up but I'm experimenting with smaller scale surfaces not so much terrain. With perlin, this negative displacement is already provided for in the fractal. If you negatively displace a perlin billows you will get ridges. The perlin mix basis are combinations of these two forms. Perlin is fast rendering and the most useful basis. If you can do something with perlin then it's best but some things you simply can't do, then voronoi is the next most useful and it's utilized in the alpine fractal. It's also what the fake stones use.

bigben

Quote from: efflux on October 23, 2007, 09:40:33 PM

...Blending terrains in TG2 causes step like problems. What causes this? It happens every time I blend terrains so much so that I rarely do it. This is no good because the only way to get truly interesting terrains is to blend them....

By stepping I'm assuming you're referring to the thins sharp drop running across the third image... This main source of this from what I can see would be the nodes used for the mix controller in the merge node. If these jump sharply in value, particularly from negative to positive values you would easily get stepping like this.  I got this with some of my terrain masks, and eventually fixed it by clamping the masks to 0-1 once I realised what was going on.

There might be some value in clamping fractals used for mix controllers to positive values?

efflux

OK, thanks. Yes, it's the sharp line and it's been giving me problems before. I will look into your ideas but need to check out my actual blending methods used. TG2 is rendering right now. Funnily enough, I have just solve step problems in another area of experimenting on that voronoi thread.

efflux

I notice yet again one of my Imageshack images has disappeared here. I have all my images at Imageshack. It makes it easy to see everything I have uploaded at various sites. I've used Imageshack for ages without a single problem but now my images are simply disappearing from Imageshack and then I can't delete images that do not exist. My gallery at Imageshack is basically broken.

Imageshack is now useless. Do not use it.

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

efflux

It doesn't work for me either so a bad sign from the start.

Sethren

Odd, they must be having issues today because normally i use this service quite often.

efflux

These services need to be 100% reliable. It seems they are not which means that you go on a thread with a crucial screenshot or something and it isn't there. There is an image missing on this thread so people will not know what hell I'm talking about. It's quite convenient though because for example I was just able to quickly show someone a bunch of TG2 tests etc all gathered at Imageshack and the Planetside system seems a bit slow anyway. I can fix that missing image but I'm waiting to see if Imageshack get back to me because my gallery of images there is simply broken. I can't even delete missing images because it can't find the images to delete.

efflux

That is strange. The missing image has suddenly reappeared and my Imageshack gallery is all sorted now. Maybe somebody there actually read my mail.

Sethren

I agree but in this world nothing is 100% reliable.    :-[