Fixing a model for TG

Started by archonforest, November 20, 2018, 05:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Having trouble to make a model right in TG. I am not so expert on this thus I would like to ask some help or direction.

I just bought a model from CGTrader and it is not behaving very well in TG so far. I got an .obj file with the usual .mtl file. When I load the model into TG I have only one part shader that covers everything. The model is not one mesh but the main parts are separated and I have different textures. I also have a UV file that actually covers the whole model. Not sure what should I do next to make it work. Any ideas are welcome.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Open it in Poseray and check out the materials and groups. You can migrate groups to materials to divide the mesh. That should divide the UV into groups/materials too.

archonforest

I opened the file in Poseray and I have one material a billion of groups....seems like this is a huge cycle to do. The original model is from 3ds max. Perhaps I will ask the maker of the file if they can help me out?
If they cannot I will loose only 17usd which is not the end of the word. Looks like to buy a 3D model that was created with another package is a tricky thing to do.

Dune

Ah, I've encountered files like that. Twenty or so groups is doable, but a milbillion.... Too bad.

archonforest

I got some breakthrough here. Managed to get an .fbx version also. I save that via blender as an .obj and voila got a buch of usefull material shaders in TG! Very promising.

archonforest

Okay I learned something that might help out others. So I bought a 3D model today that was made with 3Dmax. I got an obj file and when I opened in TG I had only one material covering the whole object. Not very usable like this. So what I did and worked very well is this. I got the FBX version of the same model. I loaded into Blender and noticed that I have different material shaders there. Next step was to save the FBX file as an obj file and suddenly boom it worked in TG too. I got individual material shaders.

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on November 20, 2018, 03:31:55 PM
Okay I learned something that might help out others. So I bought a 3D model today that was made with 3Dmax. I got an obj file and when I opened in TG I had only one material covering the whole object. Not very usable like this. So what I did and worked very well is this. I got the FBX version of the same model. I loaded into Blender and noticed that I have different material shaders there. Next step was to save the FBX file as an obj file and suddenly boom it worked in TG too. I got individual material shaders.

It's funny you note this. Lately, I've been only downloading FBX versions of models. I can't import FBX, but Blender sure can for free... and export to OBJ. As you note, this also helps with grouping of materials. I'm not sure if this is because of limitations of the FBX file when exported, or because Blender is smart, but it's so useful.

bobbystahr

O K, I'm convinced. Will dl Blender after my chiro appt. today.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 20, 2018, 04:57:52 PM
Quote from: archonforest on November 20, 2018, 03:31:55 PM

or because Blender is smart, but it's so useful.

rather the person who wrote that plug in is quite brilliant.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist