Question About Transulcent Shaders

Started by zionner, October 21, 2007, 08:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Hey all..

Well..I've think i've figured out the Functions (Thanks for the help guys ;) ) and I was wondering...

Since learning basic stuff about the Functions..Have had loads of Idea's for new things to do in TG, But i'm having difficulty with the Transucent shaders, in things like the default shader and the lambert shader, so my question is this:

Do these *Transluency* shaders (The Function Node to be presice) Accually produce proper transluency in renders, like the as of yet, unreleased feature for water, Or if not What are they there for?

Thanks Again ;)
Zionner

dhavalmistry

I have tried using translucency on water but without any success.....you can use lambert shader to get the leaves and grass translucent....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

zionner

Sorry,

What I meant was dose it use Images (only) to make fake transparency. Or dose it accually compute real Translucency in the render :P

Oshyan

It uses a very simplistic translucency "hack" that works acceptably on for example very thin objects like leaves. You should not rely on it to produce anything close to proper translucency, especially in a large or thick object or surface.

- Oshyan

zionner

Ah, ok Thanks Oshyan

Also, Is the transparency shader still on route for the next update?

Thanks
Zionner

Oshyan

Work is proceeding on proper transparency, but the "next update" idea is something that has come out of community expectation, not Planetside promise. ;) We are really gearing up for the final release at this point and there may not be many, if any updates, before that near the end of the year. Packaging up and making a public release takes additional time that may not be the best of use of our development resources at this point. But of course the final release will include all the fixes and improvements, including transparency, etc. So although it may take a bit more time to see these things in TG2, the end result will be worthwhile and available to everyone.

- Oshyan

zionner

If Updates!? lol

Didnt see that bit coming ;), though i did forget its getting quite late into the year..

(i know this is a bit off topic :P)

But are there still a few things in TG 2 We havent tried yet? still want a "few" surprises ;)

Over all though...seeing what TG 0.9 used to do with transluency (i never really tried it) I'm really looking foward to seeing what TG 2 has with it!

Oshyan

Aren't there always surprises? ;D

- Oshyan

zionner

Heh, Yeah :D

Also Oshyan (Another Off topic question lol) but instead of making a new topic)

But event though people didnt like my idea (if you dont know what i mean, the topic is somewhere on the TG 2 page,

But, do you think it would be possible to make a Plug-In for something like that? (again if ya dont know what i mean..My post is a little bit down the page in this board)

Oshyan

I'm not sure I know what post you're talking about. Would be nice if you linked to it, and then I could answer directly in that thread instead of making this one more confusing. ;)

- Oshyan

zionner