Atmo Issue

Started by RichTwo, November 27, 2018, 10:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

Once again another question which is probably easily solved by a mathematical genius but eludes my Neanderthal mind.  What is causing those blocks in the clouds?  Have fun looking at the .tgd.  I haven't a clue.  I enhanced the image to bring out the details.
They're all wasted!

WAS

Maybe Defer all shading?

Matt

This can happen if you pause the render and there are 3D previews open (or a cloud shader preview).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on November 27, 2018, 11:15:53 PM
This can happen if you pause the render and there are 3D previews open (or a cloud shader preview).

Does it really!? :O Good to know.

I often have dozens open from every shader step! Never seen this. I've noticed it when accidentally changing something and causing a live change in the next bucket.

digitalguru

QuoteI often have dozens open from every shader step!

I used to do that until I found it was a good way to crash Terragen.

RichTwo

@ WAS: Atmo and shading is deferred (Render node).

@ Matt: I tried again with the 3D Preview closed, no pausing, no other previews open.

I am still getting the same results.  The cloud nodes come from the preset pack "ragged_storm_clouds" ("v2"clouds), so maybe that's it.  I'll try again with the current "v3" clouds with settings to duplicate.  If that doesn't work, I'll probably just ditch the effort and move onto something else.

Thanks anyway.
They're all wasted!

Matt

OK, then I wonder if it's caused by "Acceleration cache" on the Optimisation tab of any of the cloud layers. To turn that off, set it to "None (highest detail)" in every cloud layer.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

RichTwo

Quote from: Matt on November 28, 2018, 01:36:24 PM
OK, then I wonder if it's caused by "Acceleration cache" on the Optimisation tab of any of the cloud layers. To turn that off, set it to "None (highest detail)" in every cloud layer.

(...as he slaps his forehead) That seems to be the fix!  They were set at "Optimal".  I don't ever mess with that setting, let alone even look at it.  I did a test render crop set at "None" and got a much better result, no blocks, anyway.  Looks like render time will increase, though.  No problem.

Thanks for all your input and support, Matt!
They're all wasted!