Alteration - The Cycle Of The Persistence

Started by iaminonsiner, December 04, 2018, 03:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaminonsiner

Good morning, everyone!

I'm Inon Siner. I am a French science fiction writer. I have been working for almost 2 years on a project called "Alteration" and here is a short summary :

" Centuries after the fall of the Earth, humanity now thrives through the stars. In the era of The Persistence, men have created the persistents,
a new generation of human beings capable of freeing themselves from the constraints of life in space and seeking only one thing: to unlock all the secrets of the universe.

Alteration tells the story of this new society, from its advent to its fall.
"

I'm here today to share my work with you ! I wouldn't talk about my stories or my music ( I'd be off-topic and I don't want that) but only the environments I create for the Alteration universe.

If you go on my website, you'll can see e a wiki and in this wiki, there is a section called "planets" in which I will illustrate all the planets colonized by The Persistence.

Today, I start with the planet "SAMA". This planet is the place where my short novel " The Waiter " takes place. To do that, I use World Creator 2 and Terragen ( 2 weeks of experience lol )

[attach=1]

For the moment, It's just a few tests, the final renderings aren't ready yet ( I am alone behind this project so it takes time, 10-15 hours of works per day, 7/7 )

Thank you.

Note : I don't know if I can share this kind of work here, maybe the forum considers it as advertising and it's forbidden... If so, let me know.
Note 2 : French is my native language so, I' sorry if my english is not good.
Note 3 : In french, The Persistence and the persistents is called " La Rémanence " and " Les rémanents ",
I just tried to find an English word that would best match for the forum.

archonforest

Interesting. What is the story of the purple planet?
What is the reason using World Creator here? TG could do this landscape also for you.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

I'd like some background on this planet too, definitely interesting color scheme going on here.

Also I agree with Archonforest, you can achieve this very easily in TG with the Strata and Outcrops shader, or even the Terracing Effecting shader released in File Sharing (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25883.0.html).

iaminonsiner

Quote from: archonforest on December 04, 2018, 03:55:56 PM
Interesting. What is the story of the purple planet?
What is the reason using World Creator here? TG could do this landscape also for you.

Thank you. As I said, Sama is the planet of my first novel and it is part of a system of 8 or 9 planets, all colonized and orbiting around the star SINEON. I can't say too much at the moment ( I'm waiting to make the final renderings of the planet and then describe it on my site so you'll soon have all the information about her ) but this system is an important system for The Persistence.

And I bought World Creator 2 before I met Terragen, that's the first reason. So I only use Terragen for rendering and importing objects later.

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 04, 2018, 04:05:23 PM
I'd like some background on this planet too, definitely interesting color scheme going on here.

Also I agree with Archonforest, you can achieve this very easily in TG with the Strata and Outcrops shader, or even the Terracing Effecting shader released in File Sharing (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25883.0.html).

Thank, I hope to be able to do at least 3 or 4 beautiful and interesting renderings as well.

I will take a look to your link ! If I understand correctly, Terragen is enough and World Creator 2 is useless to me... ?
World creator 2 is a very simple software, that I like to use, maybe it's too much but good, now that I've bought it, I might as well use it lol

iaminonsiner

Another view of " The Big Purple "

[attach=1]

Oshyan

You are very welcome to share your work here, commercial or otherwise. And World Creator is a great tool that can work well with Terragen too. :)

- Oshyan

iaminonsiner

Quote from: Oshyan on December 04, 2018, 04:51:38 PM
You are very welcome to share your work here, commercial or otherwise. And World Creator is a great tool that can work well with Terragen too. :)

- Oshyan

Thank you Oshyan  ;D

WAS

I should probably elaborate there; World Creator is an amazing tool for complex landscapes incorporating erosions of different types. This is something Terragen doesn't do out of the box besides Heightfield erosion. There is a plugin by Daniil Kamperov that can create heightmaps within Terragen with Percipitation/Fluvial/Thermal/River flow erosions, it's an amazing plugin to have with Terragen in my opinion.

I mentioned that World Creator wouldn't be needed for such a basic stepped terrain, that is all.

The second view is exceptional, really shows off what you've achieved in World Creator much better, and is not something Terragen would easily create out of the box with some PFs and a Strata.

Dune

Welcome. And I like your color schemes and the 'abstracted way' of showing your planets. Hope to see more of you here, and any questions, just shoot.

iaminonsiner

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 04, 2018, 06:30:51 PM
I should probably elaborate there; World Creator is an amazing tool for complex landscapes incorporating erosions of different types. This is something Terragen doesn't do out of the box besides Heightfield erosion. There is a plugin by Daniil Kamperov that can create heightmaps within Terragen with Percipitation/Fluvial/Thermal/River flow erosions, it's an amazing plugin to have with Terragen in my opinion.

I mentioned that World Creator wouldn't be needed for such a basic stepped terrain, that is all.

The second view is exceptional, really shows off what you've achieved in World Creator much better, and is not something Terragen would easily create out of the box with some PFs and a Strata.

I must admit that the first screen I sent doesn't represent enough what I want to do for my environments, I have much more complex environments, I would put them online here and thank you for " The second view is exceptional "  :D

Quote from: Dune on December 05, 2018, 01:21:58 AM
Welcome. And I like your color schemes and the 'abstracted way' of showing your planets. Hope to see more of you here, and any questions, just shoot.

Thank you ! I hope to be able to post more soon ! The next planet will be MADEM, a small icy planet, covered with mountains and fog.

iaminonsiner

I would also like to be able to make jovian planets ( like Jupiter ), I imagine a landscape covered with clouds of all kinds and colors but I don't know if it's possible with Terragen.

Dune

That's possible alright. Do use the search function! There's lots of old posts and samples to be found that have to do with clouds and planets. There's really a lot to be learned from reading older posts, and checking out posted tgd's.

iaminonsiner

Quote from: Dune on December 05, 2018, 03:15:08 AM
That's possible alright. Do use the search function! There's lots of old posts and samples to be found that have to do with clouds and planets. There's really a lot to be learned from reading older posts, and checking out posted tgd's.

I will take a look ! Are you from the Netherlands? I see " .NL " on your website, NL is for Netherlands, right ?

Dune