Round stones

Started by Dune, December 10, 2018, 04:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

A little time for experimentation again.

iaminonsiner

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2018, 04:59:14 AM

Good job Dune ! I like the general appearance but I think some of your shells are blurry.

Dune

That's DOF (depth of field), another great feature of TG.

mhaze

iaminonsiner

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2018, 08:03:18 AM
That's DOF (depth of field), another great feature of TG.

Obviously lol anyway it's very good job, I love the foam texture ( I don't know if foam is the right word but I mean the grass on the rocks )

Jo Kariboo

I really like the foreground with living organisms. A whole contrast with the dead and desert background.

bobbystahr

Nice one Ulco, is that AP's moss on the rocks...well done if so. I've never got it so well. Love the seashells and critters(crabs) but maybe some of the shells should be upside down to what you have...just a thought. Keep on tweakin'!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

They're limpets and they stick to rocks this way. And the moss is procedural; fake stones  ;)

zaxxon

An almost surreal juxtaposition of tide pool life and a decaying locomotive. While, as always, I'm amazed at your technical prowess; it's the nature of the scene and it's mixture of crabs and sandy wastes that has grabbed my attention. You've labeled it as experimental so perhaps I'm over-thinking my reaction, but being intrigued by the composition has to be at least half the fun of viewing this image. Could this be the first of a series of "experiments"? If so, I look forward to the next installment!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2018, 11:47:04 AM
They're limpets and they stick to rocks this way. And the moss is procedural; fake stones  ;)

Cool, thanks for the education and the FS tip. You miss a lot being landlocked like I am...we have lots of lakes but it's thousands of miles to any saltwater here bouts

starting here from wiki I learn:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saltwater_Limpet_Diagram-en.svg
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2018, 04:59:14 AM

Very nice Ulco, you have ironically created the scene more or less I was intending when fiddling with round stones. Moss/algae and all.

masonspappy

Love those rocks. Nice job!

Dune

Thanks guys. The round rocks are soft dots being pushed up, then a small patch compute terrain, then lateral and further normal displacement to bulge them. Mixed with some normal fake stones and 'fake stone' sand. The further away limpets are smaller dots displaced 3.5cm, but I wasn't able to get them all 'limpet colored', as masking them by themselves (same hardened dots) excludes the tops obviously, if they're too high.

@ Doug; no, it's not a series of new experiments. If I need something, or get some idea) I open a new TG session and try some stuff, and often add some more things just to make it a bit nicer. It grows, so to speak, out of hand  ;) Like, raising the dunelike shore after having made the round stones (soft distance shader, black upped to have no round stones on gradual 'beach'), it reminded me of something like Namibia, and I thought, why not put an abandoned train there. Some sand on it and some tiny bump to get it worn. Oh yeah, and a some local Daniil erosion to get certain areas of sand a bit lighter (wear mask). I'm a bit limited in time now, but if I can spare a few hours, I like experimenting.

bobbystahr

Bloody Brilliant Ulco...doubt I'd have figured that out at this point as I guess I don't make maps like you do...your always work, mine rarely...must put some time into photoshop I guess..keep on inspiring us mate!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

It's not photoshop, Bobby, just internal dots.