New Year's Eve in the Netherlands

Started by René, January 01, 2019, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

This is all true and not exaggerated. I don't take the risk of going outside on New Year's Eve.

https://www.facebook.com/dutchsurvivalguide/videos/646395845779316/

N-drju

For quite some time there were rumors you are in possession of a nuclear warhead or two.

Looks like it's confirmed. ;D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

We are actually building a subterranean shelter for New Year's eve. It's quite horrible and the authorities are too soft, IMO.

N-drju

In all seriousness, for us that night was also one of the worst since quite a long time for some reason.

Despite all the "Meanwhile in Poland" memes, I have never heard reports of people demolishing trash bins, bus stops or parked vehicles with fireworks and the only legitimate target is the sky. Still, there are hundreds of people who get injured each year.

I spent New Year's eve outside and felt comfortably safe though. I have been on a concert with a laser show instead of fireworks. Not bad... but somehow, I regret I missed the explosions this time. :-\
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Perhaps these people should be sent to a warzone for some 'reality therapy'.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on January 02, 2019, 06:31:06 AM
Perhaps these people should be sent to a warzone for some 'reality therapy'.

That's what many people recommend should be done with all of the thugs, jingoists and hooligans out there. Go liberate Afghanistan or Syria. Then we'll see how tough you really are.

Dune

masonspappy

My 13 year old grandson (  "Mason" from "Masonspappy") was howling when it described the worst culprits as 13 year old boys followed by all the things they were blowing up.

N-drju

Quote from: masonspappy on January 02, 2019, 08:32:52 PM
My 13 year old grandson (  "Mason" from "Masonspappy") was howling when it described the worst culprits as 13 year old boys followed by all the things they were blowing up.

Well, sometimes this is true. Teenagers do lots of wacky stuff some of it being dangerous or irresponsible... However, that being said you never know if it's actually better to be protective, or let knock themselves out.

Which reminds me of this:

[attach=1]

Dune

Parts of the brain that does responsibility hasn't yet developed. That doesn't happen before a kid is 18 or so. So you can't really blame them  :P they're just still 'handicapped'.

René

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tki4_1W07TA

The comparison with a war zone is not entirely exaggerated. This year a firestorm was raging over the city of Scheveningen. This was the result of huge pyres on the beach.
These people are in fact pyromaniacs who are allowed to live out their obsession once a year.

N-drju

The guy who assembled this stuff must have had balls of steel. There would be nothing left of him have this pyramid accidentally caught fire!

I wonder what the idiot who built it was trying to achieve anyway. ::) Were these even fireworks? Or just a burning stake?

Dune

Tradition to keep the kids happy  :-[ But for lack of snow this year, it's something different again; glowing snow. But speaking of waste, pollution, and CO2, etc......

bobbystahr

I think maybe it's a subconscious reaction to the threat of water just beyond the dike. the old Fire vs Water thing. Dum dum dum dumb though.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 03, 2019, 10:40:18 AM
I think maybe it's a subconscious reaction to the threat of water just beyond the dike. the old Fire vs Water thing. Dum dum dum dumb though.

By that logic, Greenlanders should be planting palms.  :D

But you know what? I remember some ignorant American journalist, who tried to explain why ice skating is so popular and gold-yielding sport in the Netherlands. Her "qualified guess" (boy, how I love that term) was that there are lots of canals that freeze over in winter and citizens use them to get to work, shop, school, etc. Hence so many speed skating champions. Tada!