Open Project: Voronoi

Started by Volker Harun, October 24, 2007, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

I would really like to understand those different Voronoi-Nodes:

• The Voronoi Diff Scalar, why does its amplitude get smaller with increasing distance to the origin?
  • The Voronoi Cell Scalar, which cells get effected?
  • The Voronoi A Vector is clear for me.
  • The Voronoi B Vector seems to start at the Voronoi's random point and goes to the corner?!?

And why do the Scalars and Vectors not match?

Can this be utilized?

Sigh ...

efflux

I don't know the answer to those. The first point I have just learn to utilize the way it is, the second point - I'm not sure what you mean about that and the last point I have not noticed yet.

Volker Harun

You can easily see that the B-Vector is building those ridges. Though it has some similarities with the Cell-scalar, it is quite different.

How do you utilize this scaling issue of the V-Scalars?

Nice images, by the way ,-)

Volker Harun

Not using Pi, as I did recently, gives results, that are not understandable.
I hope vice versa is true ;D

efflux

I've stopped using pi now. Results are different but the same general effect. However it's now more the effect I would expect as I've seen in Mojo. I tried the length to scalar. It works to a certain degree but the colour adjust gives you simple editing power.

I often multiple by decimal places if I need to - which isn't always the case depending on what scale you're working at. It's just that multiply is more versatile. Sometimes you need to use both multiplying and dividing.

efflux

I'm still orientating my way around how things need to be calculated (scales etc) so I haven't formulated in my head yet how everything works.

efflux

Some of this stuff here could be ultized in Mojo to do things nobody has ever done in Mojo because Mojo does some of this stuff for you but you can still get at the right parts to do what we are doing here. Then I think of the Mojo UI and the idea goes out my head  :(

efflux

I'm seeing what you mean now about scalars and vectors not matching.

Also, I think the pi function is still useful.

rcallicotte

:o  <--  Every time this guy's eyes grow, I'm burning 1000 brain cells. 

Thanks.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

Calico ... I am on a negative brain-cell counter ;D

Efflux ... it looks like the Dot and Cross Product of A and B vector might be something you like ...

Edit: Attached is a dirty quick render of the Dot-Product

efflux

That looks interesting except for the sharp angled displacement where the cells edges don't meet smoothly. We have to avoid any functions that cause that.

Volker Harun

Agree - those steps are a hazard!
I think that highest priority would be to create a simple function too smooth these.

Edit: It is one of those moments that my heart starts pounding like meeting my wife the first time!

1. Make this Get Position stuff for an A vector
2. Make a Dot-product of the A Vector with itself
3. Smile!

Works the same with the B-Vector ;D

efflux

I was thinking about that but I don't know how to solve it. This problem crops up all the time (It happens when you blend terrains as well which is bad news). Functions which cause a straight up addition of the displacement and a sharp edge. They are no good.

Volker Harun

efflux

OK. I will try that. I'm working with luminance to scalar then to a colour adjust now. I'm not sure about this vector rebuilding though. OK for sine but I'm having a few problems with voronoi. Pi was smoother.