Export objet created in Terragen

Started by iaminonsiner, January 19, 2019, 04:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on January 19, 2019, 11:34:38 AM
You didn't? I thought you'd know.
Well I knew some part of it but was not fully sure how an imported object would react.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

jaf

Not really saving the object, but you can use Ctrl-C and then in a 2nd instance of TG, do the Ctrl-V.  I just tried the displaceable cube but suspect it would work on the other non-savable objects.

An idea, if you want to save several of these type of objects, make a TG and add each one.  Then you will at least have one source to grab them later.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

If you apply Displacement to a non-displaceable object, like an imported (external) object, it will not show up in the 3D view, and in order for it to render properly you need to change its rendering method in the object's Rendering tab to "Force Displacement". Results can be difficult to adjust and depend very much on object geometry density. Be sure to use very small values for displacement at first, and increase in small increments, or you will likely "explode" your object's geometry.

- Oshyan

sboerner

Popping into this thread a little late, I know . . .

QuoteCan I export this object in OBJ. file or soemthing like that and import it into another project to use it as a population for example?

If you are starting with the native sphere object, you can always save the modified object as a clip file that can then be imported into other scenes. But I don't think you can use this to create a population.

If you start with an imported sphere mesh, then you have a couple of options:

• Connect your displacement PF to the imported object's Mesh Displacer slot and save the two nodes as a clip file. These can be imported into other scenes and plugged into population networks. "Ray trace objects" must be enabled. Also, the Displacement tab of the PF controls your displacement here.
  • Make your displacement PF part of the object's internal shading network. Connect it to the Displacement input of the network's default shader. The Color tab of the PF controls the displacement, and "Ray trace objects" should be disabled, or (instead) select "Force displacement" in the object's render tab. Now, you can select the object node and export it as a TGO that can be imported into other scenes.

As mentioned earlier here, a high-poly smooth mesh works best.

Here's a good discussion of using displacements on imported objects. It includes links to more threads:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19431.15.html