What is operators / functions ?

Started by iaminonsiner, January 23, 2019, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaminonsiner

Hi.

I am still learning about Terragen and today I would like to know more about two things: How do the operators and functions work?

I see lot of things in operator / functions menu but I don't know what is it exactly ?
How to use them ? ( especially, how to connect and wich node connect with another node...  )

I tried to add " Heightfield operator erode " in one project and tried few differents connections but no results...

I tried to find myself links, tutorials, images or videos about that but I can't find something really useful for me.

Can someone explain me clearly the utility and fonctioning of operators / functions?

Thank.

archonforest

Operators works with Heighfields. In order to see what an operator dos do this:

1. Fire up TG and delete the Fractal Terrain.
2. Add Terrain Heighfield(generated)
3. Click on the small + sign before the Highfield Shader 01
4. Clicl on Highfield Generate.
5. At the bottom of the page click Generate now. 
6. Now add an Operator from the list. Change some values.
7. Re-generate the Height field and see the changes.

You have to regenerate the Hieghtfield after each modification you do. Otherwise you will not see any change on the terrain.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

iaminonsiner

Quote from: archonforest on January 24, 2019, 02:50:51 AM
Operators works with Heighfields. In order to see what an operator dos do this:

1. Fire up TG and delete the Fractal Terrain.
2. Add Terrain Heighfield(generated)
3. Click on the small + sign before the Highfield Shader 01
4. Clicl on Highfield Generate.
5. At the bottom of the page click Generate now. 
6. Now add an Operator from the list. Change some values.
7. Re-generate the Height field and see the changes.

You have to regenerate the Hieghtfield after each modification you do. Otherwise you will not see any change on the terrain.

Hello Archon, thank you !

I understand how I have to use the operators now! I still have two more questions: If I add an erosion operator, do I have to click on erode now every time I make a change? I will make some tests today.

And for the functions, how is it going? What is the purpose of the functions?

Have a nice day friend.

iaminonsiner

And I forgot: Can I apply this "effect" to a specific area using the painter shader?

archonforest

As far as I remember you have to Erode after each change. TG have to regenerate the Heightfield.
I never tried to erode a specific area using the paint shader thus cannot answer this question.

Functions (blue nodes)...huhh...well...to understand them you have to have a very good understanding of math. My math is not very advanced thus 1. never using them and 2. cannot really explain the subject to you.

I tried to understand functions several times but keep failing. :-[ :-\ 

Wish you luck with these.

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

iaminonsiner

Quote from: archonforest on January 24, 2019, 05:53:47 AM
As far as I remember you have to Erode after each change. TG have to regenerate the Heightfield.
I never tried to erode a specific area using the paint shader thus cannot answer this question.

Functions (blue nodes)...huhh...well...to understand them you have to have a very good understanding of math. My math is not very advanced thus 1. never using them and 2. cannot really explain the subject to you.

I tried to understand functions several times but keep failing. :-[ :-\ 

Wish you luck with these.

;D ;D ;D

Ok, thank you !

Oshyan

Function nodes are intended for advanced uses. They are not required to achieve a majority of useful natural effects in Terragen. They are primarily useful for people who want to do really specific things procedurally. If you have a good understanding not only of math(s), but how computer graphics relates to math, then you can probably learn the Function nodes fairly easily. Otherwise I would suggest ignoring them, at least for now. Again they are not required for most things you may want to do.

- Oshyan