Holiday on Io - WIP

Started by TheVisitor, October 25, 2007, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVisitor

This one started out as a generic "sulphur world" image, but then I thought, why not make it an image of Jupiter's moon Io. So here's the first version, there are still some things to do (sulphur lake needs a better shoreline, Jupiter needs a higher resolution texture etc.) but that can wait until I've got my new computer where it will perhaps take less than 12 hours to render.
The sizes and distances of Jupiter/Io/the sun are totally fictitious, but I thought it looked about right.

Please comment and criticise.

rcallicotte

I like the distance part a lot.  The foreground (I guess) needs more work, though I don't know what this actually looks like.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

good start...although Jupiter doesnt have blue atmosphere.....and IO is more reddish/orangeish (like mars)

and I have Jupiter's 4k map (4000 x 2000 850 KB approx) if you are interested.....I am not sure what you are using.......
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

interestingly enough you can use atmosphere shaders for terrain so you can make gas giants that way.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

TheVisitor

calico:
I agree that the foreground needs more work, that's the main reason I called it a work in progress; I just need an idea what to do with it.

dhavalmistry:
I know Jupiter hasn't got a blue atmosphere, but I didn't know what color to give it so it looks real. Perhaps Will's idea will help.
The color of Io depends on what picture you look at - the one I have looks more yellow, at least in large parts. (see image below)
Thanks for the texture offer, but I found one myself (thanks Celestia).

Will:
going to try that soon.

Mahnmut

As I´ve already told Visitor in privat, I really like tha colours in this image.
Although I couldn´t find any real photographs of Jupiter seen against the sun (not from Hubble anyway ;) )
there is some bluish tint to the rims on some images which suggests some thin bluish layers.
And even if it isn´t totally realistic, it´s beautiful.
My only suggestion would be to make the lake darker.

Here is a Galileo-shot of Tvashtar Catena from 2000, its from wanderingspace.net.