Terragen 4 benchmark beta testing

Started by Oshyan, February 24, 2019, 04:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on February 26, 2019, 09:50:40 PM
No, Bobby had an Athlon I do believe, and that machine is down unfortunately.

- Oshyan

Still, and yeah no Ryzen, just a humble AMD FX-8370E 8 CORE 3.30GHz
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

surrealdan

I have a 1950x, but honestly been disappointed with it. It freezes or crashes during heavy rendering with TG or VRay. Probably going to sell it :(
i7-3770k 4-core @3.5Ghz, 32gb
2x Xeon E5-2697 18-core @2.8Ghz , 128gb

bobbystahr

Quote from: surrealdan on February 28, 2019, 09:10:55 AM
I have a 1950x, but honestly been disappointed with it. It freezes or crashes during heavy rendering with TG or VRay. Probably going to sell it :(

Amd Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core / 32 Threads 3.4 GHz‎..this one? ...if so I must say that's disappointing as that was my target upgrade for when my ship comes in.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I have been rendering everyday on my 1950X at work with no issues.  You might want to pop in a different Ryzen CPU and see if you experience the same freezing and crashing to rule out other possible culprits like bad RAM, or Motherboard etc. 

penboack

If it is crashing under load that could indicate a power supply related issue, such as not having auxiliary power cables connected up to the motherboard.

surrealdan

yeah that sounds like it could be it, still taking the machine to the shop to make sure.

Quote from: surrealdan on March 01, 2019, 10:43:13 AM
yeah that sounds like it could be it, still taking the machine to the shop to make sure.

Also if you do have a scene that crashes on render consistently, and it can be packaged up and shared I could test it on my 1950X to see if it crashes for me.

-Derek

Oshyan

A freezing/crashing issue with a CPU is an anomaly, not normal behavior for that line of CPU. Don't decide against Threadripper because some can be unstable Bobby, just as your Dell might crash sometimes, but that doesn't mean not to buy a Dell. ;)

And Dan, definitely get it looked at by someone with knowledge about *workstation level* systems, CPUs, cooling, and power. I guess perhaps the shop you bought it at, which it sounds like what you're doing, but honestly if they do not specialize in high-end machines you might consider somewhere else. Those CPUs are available for anyone to purchase and build a system with, but that doesn't mean that any random PC building shop will know how to best configure, power, and cool it.

- Oshyan

Great points Oshyan!

I also wanted to add, now that Oshyan jogged my memory, that when I first got my 1950X it was being cooled by a "Enermax Liqtech TR4" CPU cooler and I don't know if you have the same cooler but many many of those were failing (according to online articles/reviews) and we had two of two fail here at my work which caused CPU down-throttling and some crashing.  Once we switched to a Corsair cooler I have had Zero problems.

I like building my own PC's because I find it fun but if you want a solid Threadripper prebuilt I would recommend a company like BOXX.  I have never owned a BOXX, but have worked places that use them.  They seem like great systems, although they are expensive.

-Derek

surrealdan

I built the machine myself with high rated parts, even have a water cooling system. Everything runs fine overall, just during that heavy cpu rendering it crashes. I'm taking it to professionals to have it checked out, but def an anomaly, but it seem like a common issue with the ryzen chips. We'll see what happens :/

RichTwo

I have no idea where I'd be on this, but the processor on my Toshiba Qosmio laptop is an Intel Core (64 bit / 8 cores) i7-3610 QM CPU@ 2.30 GHz, processing speed @ 2295 MHz.  I first bought my machine primarily to handle the demands of Terragen 2 and beyond.  If that falls within the "Goldilocks Zone" for the benchmark, I'd be happy to help.
They're all wasted!

Oshyan

Thanks Rich, but I think we got what we needed. New bench coming soon. :D

- Oshyan

WAS

Is AMD Ryzen 7 2700X really mid range? It's the bottom of the barrel in Cb Single (best gauge for CPU rendering). There is literally no Ryzen below it (for mid-range before absolute crap). 

Oshyan

It's mid-range for general CPUs, yes. It is low-end for graphics-specific work, but not every Terragen user orients their hardware around computer graphic purposes. The 2700x is basically the top of the line for their consumer CPUs as well, so is essentially a "high end" CPU for those who are not as serious about computer graphics. In any case the only important thing is that there is a reasonable render time for most users, and that there is a big enough spread of render times that reasonable differences can be discerned. With a 10-15 min render time on a 2700x that should be the case.

- Oshyan

sjefen

I also have a 1950x. Most stable PC I ever owned. It's crushing through ever scene I throw at it in Terragen, so somethings not right with yours or some of the other components.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB