mask layer: in what position?

Started by Aenea, October 26, 2007, 08:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aenea

Hi guys....

I want to place a mask surface layer (i.e. plaster stones should appear around a building and they should not be affected by the surrounding terrain) on a terrain, and now I have this trouble where I should place it.
I have some surface layers and as last a surface layer with several fake stone shaders.
My question is: where must the black/white mask layer be placed that this area is not affected from my fake stones and the other surface layers. Is it necessary to use the inverted mask layer for every fake stone shader?

Thanks in advance

Aenea

Volker Harun

Hi Aenea,
You can use one surface shader (Layer 1) with the mask as breakup shader and with no colour - be sure to uncheck 'breakup only colour'.
Put all your surface shaders that do not belong to your building as a child of Layer 1.

In other words, You keep your surface shaders in the order you like.
Add one new surface shader. Plug the unplug the output of the 'base colour' node.
Plug the 'Base colour' node into the input of Layer 1. Plug the last shader of your surfaces into the child of Layer 1.

Aenea

Thanks for your answer...I did as you wrote, but the effect is that no colour of the other shaders appears anymore.....hmmmm

meaning my picture is completely grey now...I haven´t put the mask on it yet.

I´m confused a bit now....

Aenea

mist nochmal.... ???

Volker Harun

Mach mal mit einer neuen Szene eine Trockenübung ... es ist natürlich auch wichtig, dass eine Verbindung zum 'Planet'-Node rübergeht.
Kannst Du einen Screenshot von Deinen Shadern machen?

Do a test with a new scene, be sure to have the surface shaders connected with the planet node.
Can you show me a screenshot of the nodes?

rcallicotte

@Aenea - Sometimes I forget, after connecting a Blender Shader, to connect the shader inside the target node.  You need to select Blend By Shader in the target node.

I think this is one thing Volker is checking with you about.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Aenea

Okay....

Ich werds mal probieren, ich hab die Datei dummerweise auf meinem Geschäftsrechner, aber eine Trockenübung klingt nicht schlecht. Danke schön, ich meld mich wieder.

I´m going to try that, unfortunately all the data is on my business pc, but a new scene test sounds good.
Thanks a lot, I will come back here soon.

The blend by shader thing is another thing I need to check on......

Aenea

Aenea

Here´s the node screenshot you requested....

I tried to change it by connecting the first layer (layer 5) with the base color and attached the last layer (layer 3) as child into layer 5.

I connected layer 5 with the planet node.

So, hmmm, where is my mistake???

In the picture you can see small spots of the original ground colour, but it´s very grey over all. And checking the Blend by Shader option in the base colour itself doesn´t help really...it makes everything strangely dark.

Thanks so much

Aenea

Volker Harun

The child input is on top (!) of the Layer 5, the second from left ,-)

Aenea

yeah,

layer 3 is connected with the child layer of layer 5 (on top, but second from right, cause second from the left is the color function....)

Maybe it wasn´t so clear on the picture

???? still confused

Aenea

Just call me the silliest person on Earth...

argh.... :-[

Layer 5 had some activated altitude constraines and altitude slopes....I unchecked it an...voilà - you never think what happened  ;D

think I got this problem solved.....sometimes it´s maybe better to take a closer look on those features too

now I have to go on with the mask.....

Thanks a lot guys
Aenea

Volker Harun

Sorry for the mismatch - but I am happy that it works now ,-)

Aenea

No prob...

Such things happen....When my husband visited me the very first time I told him to turn right on the bridge....well, I meant left, and you guess that there was no turn right on this bridge *lol*...

He was a bit confused and asked me if I wanted him to jump down before we start to get married *lol*

Aenea