Terrain design with Machine Learning in Houdini

Started by zaxxon, March 12, 2019, 08:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Houdini 17.5 is set to launch this month and the  trailer showed some very impressive new features (as always). Using Machine Learning with an image based comparison set-up from within Houdini; using USGS data as training content, comparing that to simple relief lines: Sidefx has created an application to draw basic lines that then are quickly displayed as high detail terrain contours and natural erosions. The attached screen shot occurs at 1:09:30, the segment showing the real time drawing starts at 1:09:07, the beginning of the Machine Learning section starts at 55:09.  Amazing stuff to say the least.

https://www.sidefx.com/community/houdini-175-launch-event/

Oshyan

I've been thinking about this for at least 5 years. Glad someone is doing it at last, yet sad it's only in an extremely complex app like Houdini. I love many things about SideFX and Houdini, and their pace of development is incredible. I know Houdini is not opaque, there are tons of training materials, it's node-based like Terragen, etc. Yet... I just find it daunting. Not to mention for terrain-specific interests it's just overkill. Still, I'm glad they're innovating.

- Oshyan

DannyG

One of many of their developers is Brain Sharpe he worked heavily with Doc on Mojoworld, I am sure we will see some amazing features in the future. Its nice they offer a free apprentice version as well.However that application is super complex as Oshyan mentioned, the time is just not there for me
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram