Functions in Heightfields

Started by Mr_Lamppost, October 27, 2007, 12:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

This has arisen from a question Sethren asked a couple of days ago in another thread about Voronoi (Open Project: Voronoi):

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2616.15

QuoteI wonder if you take Heightfield erode v3 to the "vori_test_4" you could have a type of Dome Dune/Network Dune.

My apologies to Sethren for being a little abrupt in my reply, it was the wee shall hours, I had work in the morning and I don't know anything about height fields I never use them.  ;D

I have started this a sa new topic because:

• The original thread has moved on a pace in the last 48 hours.
  • I did a search and don't think using functions to generate heightfields has been discussed before.
  • This is a general method.

As I said Heightfields are something I have not really looked at so I may be covering the obvious to those that use them regularly.  Finding the way to connect the generator and operators was the trick.

First create the function network you want; for this example a simple sine function.  Feed that function into a Displacement Shader then feed that into the Function input of your Heightfield Generate (Fig 1).

Generate the Heightfield and add operators as needed (Fig 2)

You can make the input function more complex to give a more natural result (Fig 3)

Finaly I used my own Voronoi clip and applied a default Heightfield Erode v3 (Fig 4)

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

child@play

very good to know, nice work. especially the fourth pic is great
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Seth

wow you should apply a water shader on the first or second one !!!

Sethren

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on October 27, 2007, 12:19:33 AM
This has arisen from a question Sethren asked a couple of days ago in another thread about Voronoi (Open Project: Voronoi):

My apologies to Sethren for being a little abrupt in my reply, it was the wee shall hours, I had work in the morning and I don't know anything about height fields I never use them.  ;D

No worries.  :)    The results of the erosion could make for some good dune-like structures or something one sees in Death Valley somewhere.

sjefen

Quote from: seth93 on October 27, 2007, 04:06:24 AM
wow you should apply a water shader on the first or second one !!!

I was thinking  the same thing. Just need to make it break at the top. Is that possible?
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

dhavalmistry

before you apply water shader to it...try placing 4 heightfields together so that it makes a circle, hence making it look like a splash....and apply twist and shear going away from the centre to all 4 heightfields....and then apply water shader to it...but I am sure you were already aware of that...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Volker Harun

It is always a good idea to use a heightfield whenever possible, as it renders faster than functions.

Mr_Lamppost

Quotebefore you apply water shader to it...try placing 4 heightfields together so that it makes a circle, hence making it look like a splash....and apply twist and shear going away from the centre to all 4 heightfields....and then apply water shader to it...but I am sure you were already aware of that...

Hmmm.  Not sure how that would work at the boundaries.

Nice idea though, I am trying to make a splash from a single centred height field with displacements applied through a redirect.

Lots of use of that Make Pi group and the scales are driving me nuts.

I will post the results if I ever get any  ;D

Volker

Yeh I know but I still prefer procedural  :)

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.