Musical Videoclips with Terragen

Started by PcXT, April 01, 2019, 07:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PcXT

Hey Folks,
Here's Video #2, week 2 of my insane project.

Lo-poly is on purpose.
Flicker is an accident but i like it. I've learn the GI rendering file since and I use it sometimes...
Poor antialiasing is my mistake. It was too late to go back, I hope you'll forgive me !

Youtube is definitely washing out some details. I'll have to find a solution for that...

So, here it is. Comments, feedback and criticism welcome of course !

https://youtu.be/j5M2WMGkico

Oshyan

Hah, used this way the flickering and low detail actually work. Cool!

We had a lot of trouble with YouTube and our latest video, Hannes' tornado. YT was compressing the hell out of it. One fix was to upsample in post and then upload a 4k version to YT. The other option was to use Vimeo, which preserved the quality much better.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on April 07, 2019, 11:26:41 PM
Hah, used this way the flickering and low detail actually work. Cool!

We had a lot of trouble with YouTube and our latest video, Hannes' tornado. YT was compressing the hell out of it. One fix was to upsample in post and then upload a 4k version to YT. The other option was to use Vimeo, which preserved the quality much better.

- Oshyan

vimeo would be my choice for art for sure...good people there.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

PcXT

Hey, cool you like it !
Indeed it's the kind of situation where it has to be either top quality, either Lo fi  on purpose. The inbetween here didn't work. It's nice to have a positive feedback because people around me were not convinced by the lo poly thing !

Yeah Vimeo is way better. I may switch. On the other hand YouTube is a better place to be seen for a musician. I think i'll try to oversample, thanks for the tip !

PcXT

Hello boys and girls.
Here's the 3rd clip :
https://youtu.be/iCVaWoIXkLY

I really like this one. Comments welcome as usual :)

PcXT

Jonathan

Welcome to the forum and what a cracking start! Loved the music (thought you might be Jean Michelle-Jarre). Animations are great with the music following the terrain - very compelling!
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

PcXT

Thanks Jonathan !
Very pleased that you like the music ! I'm not JMJarre, I take it as a compliment ;)
Next video will be out tomorrow...

PcXT

Hi there,
Here's a new one. The music is slightly different this time.

Still lo-fi. I'm considering going HD but I have 12 more landscapes that are already rendered... I dont know yet.

https://youtu.be/LEJzboFbfXw

By the way, Shouldn't I post in TG Animation rather than Image Sharing ?

PcXT

Hi everyone,
I have not given up my project but I had no time to come back here on the forum.
And I had an issue with my computer, I may have burnt it out of calculations (is it even possible to overuse a computer, make it too hot too often ? It was a 2011 MbP, which seemed to overheat a bit)

Anyway, I have new clips to share. But I had the feeling that this topic started to be boring. Maybe I should open a new thread in the Animation section, what do you think ? I'm glad to share but I'd be pissed if I were annoying you with too much "check my work" posts ;)

At least I have more time now (and a new computer), I hope I can come back here more often...

Oshyan

Laptops are not great at long-term and repeated rendering tasks, it's true. They're not really built for it. So indeed you could have "burned out" your computer that way.

I like seeing the updates, but after a while there is not necessarily something new to say about them. ;) Unless the work is a new technique or significantly different result. So I suppose the question is what you would like to get out of posting them. Simply to share? Or to get feedback? Or something else?

- Oshyan

PcXT

Haha Oshyan, you've got me ! Well, I guess I'm always seraching for someone to say he likes my work  ;D

Indeed, comments aren't  always necessary. Especially because I haven't implemented the advice I've got so far, since I have about 20 landscapes already rendered. Doesn't mean I don't listen, though ;) Feedback is always welcome, I'm steel a newbie on the software. I was just wondering if you guys were interested ; as I said I don't feel comfortable to go here, post my stuff and go away, since I haven't much time to get involved in the other topics (but I read a lot of them even if I don't reply).

So you're right, I'll post the updates and stop worrying about having reactions or not. Anyway I've had good advice so far and I'm grateful about it !

About Laptops I know you're right. The thing is  that I need to stay mobile, so I had to buy a new mbp... l'll have to take care not to burn it out ! I definitely have to take a look at Pixelpow...

PcXT

So, here's a "new" one (I'm late I know ;))
I've tweaked the videos with VDMX and Resolve 15, trying to get a feeling of vintage computing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUM87QRR-m4

Oshyan

Mm, I rather like that latest one! Adding the filters gives it a unique look, certainly. But I particularly liked how the low resolution terrain rendering actually worked really well with the filter. I tend to be interested in seeing people find ways to use low fidelity or "problems" to their advantage, and you've done it well in this case.

- Oshyan