free sci fi cities

Started by bobbystahr, April 03, 2019, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

these are in .lwo but easily converted in PoseRay....and a little test render I made

https://www.daz3d.com/dystopia-city-blocks-011-020-lwo
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Looks interesting (and free!) - will the objects be in one big clump that need to be sorted out using Blender, or are they individuals that can be used separately?
They're all wasted!

cyphyr

They come in individual "blocks" which each consist of about 4 to six buildings.
This is Block 11 for example, and the give-away consists of blocks 11 to 20.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

RichTwo

Thanks, Richard - and Bobby!  I'm guessing that while converting to objs in Poseray, a little subdividing wouldn't hurt either unless they are high-poly.
They're all wasted!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Rich2 on April 04, 2019, 03:48:55 PM
Thanks, Richard - and Bobby!  I'm guessing that while converting to objs in Poseray, a little subdividing wouldn't hurt either unless they are high-poly.

subdivide at your peril...turns them into cartoonish distortions...I mean go ahead and try, I did; but only one time heh heh heh!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

RichTwo

OK - So I converted all to object format.  But while going through Poseray I saw the error messages that there were error that no material files were attached.  There are no such files, they are all jpegs.  So I try to guess what ones will go where and load them internally and nothing happens - still get blank surfaces.  Geez, I need some serious schooling.
They're all wasted!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Rich2 on April 04, 2019, 05:54:20 PM
OK - So I converted all to object format.  But while going through Poseray I saw the error messages that there were error that no material files were attached.  There are no such files, they are all jpegs.  So I try to guess what ones will go where and load them internally and nothing happens - still get blank surfaces.  Geez, I need some serious schooling.

Load the .lwo model in PoseRay and it appears blank but go to the Materials tab and you will see all the parts named. you should have gotten a Textures folder when you extracted this file and in it all the textures correspond to the part names so add away. I add all the textures to the same folder as the objects as both PoseRay and TG prefer it that way. Then go to the Groups Tab and click Tools>Materials->Groups and Yes at the requester and now TG can read and render...It will only save as a .obj so just save it to the same dir you got it from.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Thanks for the link and the explanation, Bobby!

Stormlord

THX for posting! I can recommend to download them, they are graet for low poly cityscapes!
I am glad to have saved all these block back in 2003.

[attach=1]
This is a Screenshot from it's original source.

You can find some of the the original sites with the famous WayBack Machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20021211042943/http://www.axeman3d.co.uk/buildings.htm
Maybe someone will be able to download all of them from their original source (it's worth it!) with the WayBack machine?

Nevertheless I have save all 20 blocks in 2003 and put them into a huge block for a super sci-fi city.
All LWO's have been imported into 3DsMax for rendering city scenes (and for further conversion like tgo's).

[attach=2]
City blocks 1-4 merged into 1 single cityblock, rendered in 3DsMax 2009 (AO+FR)

[attach=3]
City blocks 1-4 merged into 1 single cityblock, rendered in 3DsMax 2009 (AO+FR)

STORMLORD

RichTwo

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 04, 2019, 08:19:24 PM

Load the .lwo model in PoseRay and it appears blank but go to the Materials tab and you will see all the parts named. you should have gotten a Textures folder when you extracted this file and in it all the textures correspond to the part names so add away. I add all the textures to the same folder as the objects as both PoseRay and TG prefer it that way. Then go to the Groups Tab and click Tools>Materials->Groups and Yes at the requester and now TG can read and render...It will only save as a .obj so just save it to the same dir you got it from.

I'm still lost.  I did per your instruction with the Groups tab, but still get warnings that no .jpeg files are found.  When you say "add" the textures, there's nothing I have yet found in Poseray for that.  Do you mean copy-and-paste from Textures folder to City Blocks folder?

Sorry to be such a bother, but I'm like a two year old when it comes to this stuff.
They're all wasted!

Stormlord

Don't worry... you got mail :-)

STORMLORD

Stormlord

I have converted all the city blocks into TGO's. YEAH !!!
Here are some Renderings from the Sci-Fi City done in Terragen 4.12

[attachimg=1]
One City Block in neutral Atmosphere

[attachimg=2]
The complete Sci-Fi City (all 20 Blocks) with a nice Urban Sky Atmosphere

STORMLORD

RichTwo

@ STORMLORD / re: I have converted all the city blocks into TGO's. YEAH !!!
Here are some Renderings from the Sci-Fi City done in Terragen 4.12

Thanks for your help!
They're all wasted!