Problem with fake stones

Started by mhaze, April 27, 2019, 09:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Every time I try and control Fake stone Distro with slope there is an odd problem. Best to look at the attached file to see what I mean. It persists no matter how I lay out the nodes or the method I use to create the canyon. I've tried vector displcament to warp the canyon as well as using displacement and surface shaders.
Any assistance gratefully received.

Mick

Dune

Is this better? Your fuzzy zone was extemely sharp, btw.

mhaze

Sorry Dune, but the problem still exists. I'm still getting an incorrect distro of FS. I think the problem lies with the Fractal warp shader, its warping the terrain but the info is not being passed on to the surface shader.

Dune

I think I've read something about that indeed. Maybe warp afterwards?

mhaze

Further investigation shows that it may be some thing else!!! maybe the SSSesss I'll put some pics up soon.

mhaze

Warping after makes no difference.

Blue is colour distribution, orange patches are where stones should go and the FS displacement is obvious.

Note the way in which the FS lean inwards.

[attach=1]

Note also the edges - SSS is set to 90% smooth slope.  With radius the stones go to the edge which is only OK if you don't see the top of the canyon.

It seems that the SSS edge colour is the culprit here but I have found no way to fix it.

Working file attached.

cyphyr

Dose this help?

I moved the compute terrain to the last entry in the Terrain group, dropped it's value down to 0.2 and changed the slope key to Terrain Normal.

For clarity I increased the size of the fake stones and made them a cute pink!
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mhaze

Thanks cypher,

Never thought to try that but patch size seems to solve the problem.