Cloud Contrast: Darker dark parts

Started by Kexikus, April 29, 2019, 04:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kexikus

Attached here is a (fantasy) cloud setup that I'm quite happy with except for one thing. I want to have more contrast in the clouds, i.e. I want the darkest parts of these clouds to be darker.

I already tried increasing the cloud density and cloud depth, played with the lighting settings, decreased the enviro light, increased fake dark power but whatever I did I could only ever get the bright parts to be darker. The darkest parts always stayed the same.

But there has to be way to get the result I'm looking for, right? Could anyone help me to find it?

Thanks.

Oshyan

Do you mean the contrast of *color* (shading, lighting of the clouds), or the contrast of the *shapes* (i.e. sharper shapes/differentiation)?

- Oshyan

Dune

You can try playing with the desnity shader itself; the noise variation and clumping has an impact too, without changing the overall appearance. Use the small preview window to see what changes if you increase or decrease clumping, etc. Or even the contrast in the density shader may help; thinner cloud at edges, thicker in centers, of 'each cloud'.

Kexikus

Quote from: Oshyan on April 29, 2019, 10:04:49 PM
Do you mean the contrast of *color* (shading, lighting of the clouds), or the contrast of the *shapes* (i.e. sharper shapes/differentiation)?

- Oshyan

I meant contrast of *color*, i.e. lighting.

Thanks for the tips Dune. I'll play around with those as soon as I have the time.

Oshyan

Then I might suggest actually literally just adjusting the contrast, either in post, or in the settings within the Render Node... (given that you've tried all the lighting settings in the clouds)

- Oshyan

Matt

Some of the light might be coming from the atmosphere, so you could try darkening that.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kexikus

Darkening the atmosphere (Bluesky density color to be specific) did the trick. Thank you all for the suggestions!