Real world scale waves?

Started by WAS, June 03, 2019, 01:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I wanted to use the trick Ulco showed me years ago to do waves... however... I'm having a bit of a issue. The waves seemed to be based on the elevation, scale and slope of the terrain. So I get 3 waves packed into 150 meters! I need a fraction of that scale! :O

Any ideas?  My current scene is a eroding beach, but at real world scales, with a small beach, 2m high eroding bank, and the small rise of the island. I can't even get a single wave to show in the viewport. I've tried fiddling with the waves count scalar to no real avail. Even tried shrinking the whole setup with a transform shader.

Uploaded old scene for lookies. Notice the waves are absolutely HUGE. Total screenspace in my new scene is only 11 meters across.

Dune

Try this.

Btw, I wouldn't use the compute terrain in the water line, makes it very slow.

Furthermore, your whole scene is huge. I would start out with a real world beach.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 04, 2019, 01:58:17 AM
Try this.

Btw, I wouldn't use the compute terrain in the water line, makes it very slow.

Furthermore, your whole scene is huge. I would start out with a real world beach.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. And yes, this scene is huge. Super old didn't even pay any mind to scales I'm sure. My new scene, the viewport is only 11 meters wide about, a fraction of the size really. But the setup seems to produce the same scale waves which are just not even visible at the small scale.

Not even sure what that compute terrain is about. I guess I was going to do something lateral, or just derping.

WAS

Multiplying by vector before the multiply scalar seems to be the kicker. For my current scene it took a 2,4,2 multiplication and seems I got a nice 2-3 waves in scene on the shore.

Dune

Yes, you virtually steepen the terrain with the multiplied vector.

N-drju

I really need to bookmark these pages somehow... So much knowledge gets lost, because of so little time... :-\
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"