Black Squares in PT

Started by WAS, June 05, 2019, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Anyone know what may cause these black squares?

Note: I know water doesn't work for transparency, just wanted to see if PT helped the grass shadows, which it does by leaps and bounds. Regular renderer looks too "light" and makes the grass look not as dense.

digitalguru

I saw a post about that a while ago and I think a possible cause might be shaders with "Better Color Continuity" and "Better Displacement Continuity" turned on and/or certain pixel reconstruction filters that introduce NaNs from a negative lobe in the filter

Check out this thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26344.msg262314.html#msg262314

p.s I had a very similar problem years ago with black NaNs in a Mental Ray render - I solved it by clamping the black point of every shader in the scene to 0, don't know if this would help in this case, but I might be something to try.

WAS

Quote from: digitalguru on June 05, 2019, 11:22:34 AM
I saw a post about that a while ago and I think a possible cause might be shaders with "Better Color Continuity" and "Better Displacement Continuity" turned on and/or certain pixel reconstruction filters that introduce NaNs from a negative lobe in the filter

Check out this thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26344.msg262314.html#msg262314

p.s I had a very similar problem years ago with black NaNs in a Mental Ray render - I solved it by clamping the black point of every shader in the scene to 0, don't know if this would help in this case, but I might be something to try.

Definitely lots of better colour continuity and displacement all throughout the scene to achieve low level details of colours/displacement without that weird puddy look on the surfaces. Both in PFs and Surface layers. The scene is only 11m across (in foreground scene).

Oddly, though, this didn't seem to be an issue until I rendered without the fog, and with water enabled.

digitalguru

QuoteDefinitely lots of better colour continuity and displacement all throughout the scene
Try turning them off for a test render though - if it turns out that is causing the issue - send the scene to Planetside, they said they were investigating.

WAS

Quote from: digitalguru on June 05, 2019, 11:38:11 AM
QuoteDefinitely lots of better colour continuity and displacement all throughout the scene
Try turning them off for a test render though - if it turns out that is causing the issue - send the scene to Planetside, they said they were investigating.

They're sorta crucial to the scene, so if PT isn't ready for it, it's PT's problem. Not going to change the scene right now. It's probably best not rendered in PT by the end-user anyway as it's admittedly not for production.  I just wanted the PT shadows for the grass in comparison cause in normal renderer it's so muddled and light it makes me want to up the population count which wouldn't make much sense other than just for shadows piling up.

Additionally I'd say adjusting a scene between two renderers in the same program is just not OK. Lol At that point it's just a problem with the renderer, not the scene.

digitalguru

Well, it is still in Beta :)

I'd still bug them about it though, or just send them the scene as it is if you can.

WAS

Quote from: digitalguru on June 05, 2019, 11:48:49 AM
Well, it is still in Beta :)

I'd still bug them about it though, or just send them the scene as it is if you can.

I'll have to ask. This scene sorta got bought.

I was just curious in the differences in shadows.

I will say though PT is super slow. Doesn't use much of my CPU with entire image to go (started new render see if it's fixed). Fans aren't even on. Lol Fans weren't even on this morning when I took the screenshot. Usually on normal renderer the RV is hot and fans blasting at 100% load. Load right now is 85%.