183 hours and counting - Did I over do my render settings?

Started by D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet), June 10, 2019, 10:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Because Path Tracing uses Defer All. But Defer All is not Path Tracing. ;) The render will, of course, finish normally.

- Oshyan

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I've been experimenting with different settings to see why my above referenced render took so long (275 hours or so as I remember).  During my experiments with settings I started getting a weird garbled horizon.  I'm not using Path Tracing here, but I did reduce my haze, and blue sky density.  The screen capture shows many of the render settings.  Anyone know what causes this?  Is it a bug?  I was using the Catmull-Rom (Sharp) filter as well.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Thanks,

-Derek

Matt

I'm not sure, but I think you're just seeing the bottoms of distant clouds. If you don't have something to cover the horizon, you'll see clouds extending far below the horizon because they curve downwards due to the curvature of the planet. If this is what's happening, then I don't think anything is wrong with it. The point where they stop is where the atmosphere's "floor" parameter blocks them with an opaque black sphere.

If your render is being cropped exactly at the horizon, then I think you're just seeing distant cloud curving down towards the horizon.

If you want them to fade into the distance like they would when an atmosphere is present, you can render with an atmosphere but use Render Elements to extract the cloud element (which will be darkened to black as it recedes into the atmosphere).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Ok thanks Matt!  I never noticed this before.  I suppose I could bring the back of the clouds in too by localizing them, or figuring out how to do it with a distance shader.  I'll try the Render Layer thing first though.

-Derek